Work headshots

hokies2379

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I feel like I’ve improved but I already see a couple of things wrong. I feel like my main light is too hot. I see the forehead and noses are just a little blown. What else did I need to do differently on these? I felt pretty good about them at first glance, then one thing after another started to stand out. Trying to improve. Hit me with the hard stuff. This was a two light set up. One beside the camera but above the model and one behind and two the left of the model.
IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Not a little blown. A lot blown.
Facial highlights are generally kept at a color temperature of no more than 230 in the red channel.

The forehead of the woman in the second shot is clipped/blown out (max exposure of 255) in all 3 color channels, so there is no recoverable detail.

A decent handheld light meter that can meter flash is a huge time saver. At least one like the Sekonic L-308S Flashmate But one like a Sekonic L-478D-U Lightmeter would be even better.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Way over-exposed, and the ladies both have parallel-to-camera-back-shoulders, often called football shoulders. Try angling their torso one direction, and having them turn their heads back in the other direction (opposite the direction the torso is angled), toward the key light. That will go a long ways toward making more-interesting photos of ladies.

I feel like I’ve improved but I already see a couple of things wrong. I feel like my main light is too hot. I see the forehead and noses are just a little blown. What else did I need to do differently on these? I felt pretty good about them at first glance, then one thing after another started to stand out. Trying to improve. Hit me with the hard stuff. This was a two light set up. One beside the camera but above the model and one behind and two the left of the model.
Unfortunately, you need to start over. Your key light has made "Paramount" or "butterfly" lighting, which just isn't my favorite, and as already been established; it is way too hot. The second light might have been o.k. for a hair light, but it too is over-powered, and should be narrowed.

I agree with all that has been said above. Once they are corrected read below.

Everything I'm about to say is personal taste.

I would bring the key light down enough to get a good catch light in the subjects eye. This will in turn aid in eliminating the butterfly lighting.

The only indication of a rim light is on the first subject on the face. Both of the subjects have darker hair than the background and since you appear to be going for a high key effect, loose the rim light and run a one light set up. Master this before bringing in the second light. Or if you MUST use the second light really go for it and make that background white.

Eyes are the window to the soul, therefore get rid of the hair cutting through it, It will only serve as a distraction.
Hair. For a professional look having the hair in order will in turn aid in the impression that the person has it together. A little cheap hairspray on a comb can go a long way in tidying this up.
If they have to have jewelry make sure it is even and tidy for the same reasons as above. This goes for glasses too.

Give it another go. The effort will pay off.

Last edited:
Agree with what is being suggested above. I would add that I'm not sure that you need the second light in this case. the key being above the camera should be enough to light the subject. Have the main light aimed down a little in front of the subject and then use a bounce card or reflector from below to add the fill light. This will also help with the hot spots on the skin.

Just my humble opinion, but if you're doing portraits, how about turning your camera 90° to portrait orientation. The crop across the chest on both ladies is not very flattering.

It's good idea to start with just one light.
When you'll learn how to use it properly you'll be ready for studying more complex lighting setups.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back