Working with what I have, C&C plz

FattyMcJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey folks, been lurking for a while, learning, and recently joined the site.

I received, as a gift, a Sony DSC-H20 in October. At first I was happier than a pig in poo...then I tried to take pics of my kid. :thumbdown:

After lurking this site, I learned what the manual setting is for on the camera, getting better with it, and here are some shots from today's outing.

C&C please, just keep in mind it's a P&S. Also, there is zero PP done to these, should I do any? If so, what?

My daughter, Grace.
4325837607_613948e948_b.jpg

Attempted to capture a crisp, clean, wildlife action shot.
4326573200_c5b39a50cc_b.jpg

And the Village Idiot...
4326574556_394e7b9b4b_b.jpg

I think the first one of your daughter is very cute, it's a fun, memorable shot, tho no great work of art. You might crop out the distracting dark thing along the left edge, which will also move her face a little more to the left getting her out of the center. Things usually look better away from dead center: search rule of thirds.
The next one of the geese could be inproved by cropping out everything but the geese, but be careful not to enlarge it too much because things will get noisy.
The last one is not very interesting, not enough info about the guy to know anything without an explanation. It's just an unidentifiable guy standing in a generic sort of meadow or ice patch. I hope this helps...JSD

#1 Great snapshot... Quick crop and you should be good. (the color on my monitor is not adjusted so I don't wanna give any C&C on color)

#2 & #3.... send them back to your "all the other pics" folder.

With the geese, try and get more of a subject or point of interest. With so much going on, your eye bounces around the frame too much and it gets passed over. The idiot on the ice, well that is pretty much the polar opposite of the geese picture... you go from too much going on, to nothing (and I mean nothing) at all.

p!nK

Alright, took your advice on the kiddo...cropped it a bit and increased the saturation to add a bit of color, she looked pale.

test130.jpg

As far as the geese, the shot itself sucks, I agree...I was more attempting to get just a good clean and crisp capture of the action. I like that you can see the individual droplets of water and the wings don't look too blurry. It gives me hope for this camera.

The guy...I get it now. You, not being able to see the world outside of the shot, can't tell why I took it. As a photographer, you need to convey the PURPOSE to the shot, as well. I took the shot as quickly as I could because 1) The guy is standing on 3" thick ice... 2) I was half hoping to capture him FALLING into the ice lol. The moron is standing on the ice when it's 60+ outside and it's thin...Darwin award winner IMO. But ya, you can't tell that from the shot. Thank you for pointing that out. :thumbup:

The shot of your daughter is very much improved, dont you think? It realy is a very sweet picture. Could you get anything by cropping the geese? JSD

The shot of your daughter is very much improved, dont you think? It realy is a very sweet picture. Could you get anything by cropping the geese? JSD

Thank you, I do agree!

Here is the geese cropped and again saturated +20 in PS7 (old I know, but it's what I'm used to working with) Who knew there were ducks in with the geese?! lol

test063.jpg

Thanks JSD:thumbup:

Again, your help and comments are invaluable. All are welcome :mrgreen:

hmmm...the geese are not that great I guess, even with the crop. Too much going on. That would be a shot for at least a 200mm, preferably 300 or more. Then you could pick out just the one with wings spread and water flying. JSD

hmmm...the geese are not that great I guess, even with the crop. Too much going on. That would be a shot for at least a 200mm, preferably 300 or more. Then you could pick out just the one with wings spread and water flying. JSD

True, not a winning shot.

My P&S only has 10x zoom (lol) and I was about 50 yards away, give or take, so picking one out wasn't an option lol. But I will attempt to do that, given the opportunity next time. Thank you :mrgreen:

I'll post more/new pics up in the days to come, hopefully improved, and I'd like to have more C&C. :thumbup:

True, not a winning shot.

My P&S only has 10x zoom (lol) and I was about 50 yards away, give or take, so picking one out wasn't an option lol. But I will attempt to do that, given the opportunity next time. Thank you :mrgreen:

I'll post more/new pics up in the days to come, hopefully improved, and I'd like to have more C&C. :thumbup:

Glad it helped...JSD

Most reactions

Back