Would I need a release to use these?

photographyfanatic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotographyfanatic.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Although I have been taking photos for many years, I am new to the buisness side of photography. So if I have permission from a performer and the venue to shoot photos after that if I wanted to use those photos to promote my work via a smugmug gallery(and possiably have them for sale at smugmug) and also shop the same images around to certain music magazines, ect.. to see if they might want to purchase them. Do I need a release for this?

Although I have been taking photos for many years, I am new to the buisness side of photography. So if I have permission from a performer and the venue to shoot photos after that if I wanted to use those photos to promote my work via a smugmug gallery(and possiably have them for sale at smugmug) and also shop the same images around to certain music magazines, ect.. to see if they might want to purchase them. Do I need a release for this?
You don't need a signed model release to display and sell your images to private parties on SmugMug.

Most magazines won't buy an image with people in it if the photographer cannot also provide a properly executed model release(s) from those people.
Magazines, newspapers, and other publications do not need signed model releases if the image(s) will be used in an editorial context.
Most magazines want the signed model release so they have the option to use the image(s) in other ways.

Model releases are for the protection of the people in an image and for the publisher of those images, not, in the strictest sense, protection for the photographer. It is possible the photographer could also be the publisher.

Most reactions

Back