Would it be too much to ask

amolitor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
.. that people NOT jump all over newbies for potential copyright violations, based on not very much? I see this ALL the time. Someone with a low post count posts a picture that isn't some terrible snapshot, and get crapped all over for posting work that's not their own and generally read the riot act.

I dunno about your country, but where I live, there is a presumption of innocence.

Also, even if there are "tells" that this thing might be someone else's picture, a polite reminder of the rules and reporting the post as a potential copyright problem strikes me as a better solution than the TPF-standard "dump on the newbie" response.

Hey... While we are at it... Would it be too much to ask for people to grow a thicker skin or not whine too much or ask questions they can search for and find answers to quite easily? I don't think it'd be too much to ask at all.

.. that people NOT jump all over newbies for potential copyright violations, based on not very much? I see this ALL the time. Someone with a low post count posts a picture that isn't some terrible snapshot, and get crapped all over for posting work that's not their own and generally read the riot act.

I dunno about your country, but where I live, there is a presumption of innocence.

Also, even if there are "tells" that this thing might be someone else's picture, a polite reminder of the rules and reporting the post as a potential copyright problem strikes me as a better solution than the TPF-standard "dump on the newbie" response.

I usually only see it happen when a new person posts a photo and asks how do I make my photos look like this? If your asking that its obviously not yours.

That would be one of the "tells" which, in a different universe, would inspire a polite reminder about the rules and a quietly reported post, rather than the usual frenzy of people competing to see who can be a bigger jerk without actually getting banned.

If we can't be civil, maybe we should rename the place The Photo Fraternity, since the prevailing attitude amongst those who make it through the gauntlet all too often appears to be 'I was hazed. Now I should be able to haze the pledges in turn, and if they're not strong enough to take it, then obviously they have nothing interesting to contribute to a photography forum'.

One vote for The Photo Fraternity right here.

I really do not see this happening as frequently as your post makes it seem. In fact, in recent times I have seen four or five such newbie posts where there was no "dumping on the newbie", and eventually one of the mods came along and gracefully edited the posted photos which were in violation of the TPF copyright FAQ, and that was that. There was one post yesterday in fact where there was no "dumping on the newbie". But I do agree...no need to vociferously dump on newbs who post pics and ask, "How can I make my pictures look like THIS?"

And not just this particular subject, but ANY jumping on newbies is likely to backfire on well-meaning members.

We only ask members to report stuff that seems off, not try to police it. :)

Most reactions

Back