would like c&c please

gagey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have so many pictures i wasnt sure were to start but this is one from the other day of my son and husband hands

origional nothing touched

edit 1

edit 2

i tried to edit some different ways and see what way i should leanr towards more...i am really new to editing and dont exactly know what i am doing yet but would like to see if either is even going in the right direction or not last picture i posted i dont think i was going a good direction these i used lightroom only

Last edited:
Cute. Seems underexposed to me, though. My monitor?

it is probably not your monitor the sky was very white out that day and the sun was really bright and i didnt have much time to change alot of settings when i shoot the baby he now figured out he can wiggle out of my pictures:lol: so i try to shoot on auto and thats about it with him

oh and i should mention i got a new flash and have not read how to use it yet so that could also have effected that as well

Fix the scratch on the dad's hand, up the saturation a teensy weensy bit (so they don't look like they've been in a cave all their lives) and fix the exposure and I think you've got a keeper.

Re-shoot it if/when you can, I'd like to see how it comes out!

Fix the scratch on the dad's hand, up the saturation a teensy weensy bit (so they don't look like they've been in a cave all their lives) and fix the exposure and I think you've got a keeper.

Re-shoot it if/when you can, I'd like to see how it comes out!

i am not mentioning anything about looking like living in a cave to my husband :lol::lol::lol: he makes fun of me he calls me pasty and will tease me if the baby looks pasty as well...hehehe

trying to reshoot maynot get same picture but i will try ..the baby doesnt like to coroporate anymore so he is hard as heck to get ....i will try to edit this one and see if it looks better with your suggestions...i am new to editing so i may not shcieve it in full be back in a few and see what i get

here is an edit with the saturation up and exposure down some ...now fixing the scratch i know i can heal but wont that look funny since he has lines in his hand they will be all weird wont they? is there a different way to fix the scratch ?

what one looks better should i go more towards the sharper image or softer one?

Last edited:
Kind of...

I was thinking of something a bit more like this...

dadsonhands1.jpg

I fixed the scratch on Dad's hand, played with the curves to fix the exposure on both hands (leaving the background the way it was) then the tough part. Dad and kid have two different skin tones, so I separated them and played with hue/saturation on both to get them (on my monitor) the right colors.

Not bad

But...a re-shoot would be best IMO.

Its Under exposed, Fatty's edit looks much better, but I still think the shot deservs a reshoot with a little more light being alowed to hit the sensor.

My person opinion, if you are going to post photos for critiquing, don't use pictures such as these which have some sentimental value to them. I've found myself getting caught up in this way too much. I take a realy cutesy picture of my son and absolutly fall in love with it... post it for C&C... only to find out that what I though was a great photo was in reality not an artistically great shot. Using sentemental shots for critique, I find, puts a set of blinders on you and it makes it more difficult to actually learn from. When you use non sentimental photos, its much easier to see what others see and it makes the critiquing much easier to swallow.

This shot fits that bill. Compositionally you did great, you're depth of field is great, but you background is exposed property and your foreground is underexposed, you're "models" finger nails are chewed up, the hands themselves are a little out of focus, and its generally a really "flat" picture.

Its certainly a cute photo and will be great in your family album, but as an outsider, its pretty much "blah".

Put the subject matter aside - it is under exposed, that is the problem. Even pushing levels or going into the "shadow/highlight" option is not going to help a lot. It will always look a bit off from the technical side.

I'm sure your little one will grab daddy's hand again some time so be ready with the camera :)

Needs better focus. The texture in the hands is what interests me. And, personally, I would not remove the scratch. I don't like it when details are cloned out.

Composition is good, but pay attention to your backgrounds next time and you won't have to aggressively crop. I like seeing more of the kid's arm (as in #1), but the strong diagonal line is too much.

Kind of...

I was thinking of something a bit more like this...

I fixed the scratch on Dad's hand, played with the curves to fix the exposure on both hands (leaving the background the way it was) then the tough part. Dad and kid have two different skin tones, so I separated them and played with hue/saturation on both to get them (on my monitor) the right colors.

Not bad

But...a re-shoot would be best IMO.

i need to learn how to work with layers i am so new to editing i have not read anything yet on how to...all i can do is play around and try but really on the editing side i have not a clue how to edit good yet...i apprieciate your info and it will hopfully help me out

Its Under exposed, Fatty's edit looks much better, but I still think the shot deservs a reshoot with a little more light being alowed to hit the sensor.

My person opinion, if you are going to post photos for critiquing, don't use pictures such as these which have some sentimental value to them. I've found myself getting caught up in this way too much. I take a realy cutesy picture of my son and absolutly fall in love with it... post it for C&C... only to find out that what I though was a great photo was in reality not an artistically great shot. Using sentemental shots for critique, I find, puts a set of blinders on you and it makes it more difficult to actually learn from. When you use non sentimental photos, its much easier to see what others see and it makes the critiquing much easier to swallow.

This shot fits that bill. Compositionally you did great, you're depth of field is great, but you background is exposed property and your foreground is underexposed, you're "models" finger nails are chewed up, the hands themselves are a little out of focus, and its generally a really "flat" picture.

Its certainly a cute photo and will be great in your family album, but as an outsider, its pretty much "blah".

i will keep that in mind about sentimental value ..i want to take better pictures but at the same time i can see were you are coming from about sentimental value becasue i wont erase a picture of my kids just because it might not be the best i could do because he is only that exact age on that day i took the picture and even if i reshoot he is older than that day and i like to have many pictures of him growing up and comparing things how his hands and feet have grown ...i will try a reshoot but still keep this one forever

this isnt my reshoot but i took this a few days before ....from what im getting from my first picture this one may be the same thing but here is an origional not sure if this is just as bad or a little better

Last edited:
focal point aint in focus.
cute idea though.

I like the latest one you're showing! The exposure is way better and I don't mind two hands, because I thought the first one was sort of overdone before anyways. In this one the green isn't overpowering any of the hands. :D I like the chubbiness of the baby's hands and I think this one will be easier to edit. I think you just need some highlights to make it pop and to adjust the levels. :)

Hmm...composition wise, I like the third crop from the first set. If you read up on the rule of thirds, that composition very much fits the bill. Technically, the hands are out of focus and the color tone seems off (maybe just me?).

Personally, I wouldn't throw this picture out either. I've done far worse pictures with my kids, but they are still in my album :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back