Would love some feedback/constructive criticism

skeen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

You could say that I'm new to photography in that it's been a few years since I was into it seriously.

I recently bought myself a Panasonic DMC-GF1, with the 1:3.5-5.6/14-45 Kit Zoom.

I've weened myself off the AUTO mode, and took the camera out for some experimentation today.

These are the pics I chose, and processed in Light Room. You can see the camera settings in the info pane.

I'd love to get your general feedback and constructive criticism. I like quite a few of them, but I think they could all be improved upon.

Thanks a lot, and I hope to see you around generally as I'm a new member. :thumbup:

There are some nice ones in the bunch for sure. I like the one with the girl's arms stretched out .. even though it's grainy and out of focus, it's a really nice photo. I'd probably crop it off where the solid black bar starts at the bottom though. I also like the lights with the picture frame below them.

The pretzel is almost on my list of likes. Be mindful of your surroundings.. there' a fork poking out in the pretzel picture that's a bit distracting.

Really like 13, how long was the exposure?

There are some nice ones in the bunch for sure. I like the one with the girl's arms stretched out .. even though it's grainy and out of focus, it's a really nice photo. I'd probably crop it off where the solid black bar starts at the bottom though. I also like the lights with the picture frame below them.

The pretzel is almost on my list of likes. Be mindful of your surroundings.. there' a fork poking out in the pretzel picture that's a bit distracting.

Good comments, thanks. :) I find that if I take a photo, and it's quite blurred...it might look a lot better in black and white. Do you concur?

For instance, I quite like this one:

1142685164_ek3Qf-M.jpg

...but in colour it's pretty awful.

I think this one would have turned out quite a bit better if the subjects were in focus more, and if the lady on the left was out of frame:

1142684474_H7fZE-M.jpg

Really like 13, how long was the exposure?

There's some good photos in your collection. If you're weaning yourself off of auto mode, watch your aperture settings on the deep focus images (like the pretzel).

The other comment I have is much more technical and relates to B&W images. You have what we used to refer to as "panchromatic sky". In the days of 35mm panchromatic B&W film, a particular film/developer combination rendered the film relatively insensitive to blue. Hence, the sky was rendered as white. In order to get skies darker and more interesting, you had to use a filter (yellow or red or something in between). Digital cameras are also under-sensitive to blue, so sky images rendered into B&W come out whiter than the eye tells us they should be. Yours may have been taken on a cloudy day, I don't know, but the effect is the same.

There are cures for this problem. For example, Photoshop Elements allows you to variably mix the R, G and B channels in different ways to get different B&W renderings. Photoshop CS is even more sophisticated.

Sorry if that was too geeky but, hey, going off auto mode is a big step!

Very interesting - thank you. I'll bare it in mind. It was actually a cloudy day, but I was concerned with how the sky was coming out.

Most reactions

Back