Would this be a good beginner studio setup?

robb01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think the Impact stuff by B&H is probably pretty comparable to the Flashpoint by Adorama, although I have not read any reviews on them. I do know that the Flashpoint comparable monolights are reviewed very favorably. I'd venture to guess that the Monolight/softbox kit is a pretty decent deal for the price.

Why are you purchasing the monolight outfit AND a tungsten outfit? You will NOT want to use those together. It'll give you color nightmares as the lights are two different color temperatures. The tungsten lights are also "hot lights" which are exactly that-hot. Why the extra 3 bulbs? Just to have on hand? If you are going to go all tungsten that's fine.

You are also mixing two different kinds of lighting-constant with flash-and the wattage is VERY different. The flashes will put out a LOT more light than the constant lights. It takes a TON of constant light wattage to equal that of a monolight.

You'd be far better off purchasing one of these kits along with the monolight kit you have listed: Impact Two Monolight Kit without Bag (120VAC) EX100A-2KII B&H. With those two kits you can light up a LOT. Not a stadium, but it's more than I'd need with any extremely large family I have ever photographed.

Yes, the triggers will trigger those lights, however for what those are? they are expensive. This is both pieces in one kit for $12 Blazzeo Wireless Slave Trigger Set for Studio Flash 4-Channel | Photography | Linkdelight.com.
If you have the money to spend a minimum of 2 of these would fire the system and be a bit better Aputure Trigmaster Plus 3N 2.4G Flash Trigger for Nikon D7000. Better yet one on each flash would be ideal.

Well, I'm not yet an expert at this, but I have some concerns.

Mixing FLASH and TUNGSTEN in the same shot is going to create some weird white balance problems that have to be addressed.
2nd is you have a light kit listed, but as far as I can tell, everything else comes with lights...are you just getting spares?
3rd, you have (2) transmitters, and (1) receiver listed, it should probably be the other way around. You need multiple receivers for (1) TRANSMITTER.

What are your goals for the system. What do you plan on photograping?

Good luck

Well, I'm not yet an expert at this, but I have some concerns.

Mixing FLASH and TUNGSTEN in the same shot is going to create some weird white balance problems that have to be addressed.
2nd is you have a light kit listed, but as far as I can tell, everything else comes with lights...are you just getting spares?
3rd, you have (2) transmitters, and (1) receiver listed, it should probably be the other way around. You need multiple receivers for (1) TRANSMITTER.

What are your goals for the system. What do you plan on photograping?

Good luck

Im wanting to set up a small studio that is available to rent out to other photogs, so id like options. Yeah, I messed up the transmitter, it should be the other way around.

One last question, how many receivers do I need? Is this based on the monolights that I get? I read somewhere that I just need 1 receiver and 1 transmitter, and the other monolights would be triggered by the flash of the first monolight with the receiver attached, is this correct?

You need a minimum of one receiver. The lights can be triggered optically-when one fires, the others see it and fire as well. It's nice to have a receiver on each light you are using. Especially if you are using them for an event and you are having other flashes go off. They will trigger your flash if you aren't using a receiver.

Here is my revised setup

2 - Alien Bees B800s
2 - 32*48 Softboxes with Stands
Cowboy Studio remote transmitter with 2 recievers

This comes in at right around 750 shipped, and think it should be a decent starting light kit, may add another monolight if needed. Now onto backdrop choices

Most reactions

New Topics

Back