Would you accept other flags than your nation's on your National Day?

I think it's silly anyone would even bother themselves asking the question.
Someone wants to fly a flag with cupcakes on it... let them, it shouldn't concern you. Mind your own business.

If its flown during the National day for America, in America, it is his business to comment
What?
Write that a different way please, I don't understand you.

I think it's silly anyone would even bother themselves asking the question.
Someone wants to fly a flag with cupcakes on it... let them, it shouldn't concern you. Mind your own business.

If its flown during the National day for America, in America, it is his business to comment
What?
Write that a different way please, I don't understand you.

You're right, I can't speak for the Norwegians in Norway. Was speaking for us in regards to flags. Please disregard my silly comments altogether

Maybe it's me being very narrow minded. Half of why I posted this was to see if I had missed something.

If someone wants to emphasize their nationality on our national day, that's great. Nothing is better; they are embracing our culture. However, should they start waving their own flag, or hoisting it up on a pole or on a wall-pole, then it would feel wrong. It's not like everyone in Norway is celebrating our nationality, we're celebrating our Constitution.

Maybe it's me being very narrow minded. Half of why I posted this was to see if I had missed something.

If someone wants to emphasize their nationality on our national day, that's great. Nothing is better; they are embracing our culture. However, should they start waving their own flag, or hoisting it up on a pole or on a wall-pole, then it would feel wrong. It's not like everyone in Norway is celebrating our nationality, we're celebrating our Constitution.

And what would you do?

How would you feel if someone else ripped the other flag down?

My feeling is that:

1) A National day should be celebrating that nations prime nationality and culture of the nation itself. No matter the background of the individual, the nation in itself should be what is celebrated. As such it should be the nations flag that is flown in the celebration itself (at least by the official flags).

2) I'm all for other people celebrating their national pride, and honestly a few flags here and there harms me not one bit so yeah if other people want to fly their flags, even on the national days, then they can fly them.

3) I'd encourage those who wish to fly their own flag upon the nations flag day, that they should give mind to fly both flags and celebrate the duality that they live within -a chance to be proud both of the heritage that they are from, but also the nation that they live within.

Then again in the UK the only time we seem to ever get the Union Jack out is during football matches :p We don't really take the whole flag thing as seriously as some other cultures like America.

They are not emphasizing their nationality(hopefully with duality) but showing their pride for where they are from and the fact that where they live now accepts them with open arms.

And what would you do?

If someone angrily ripped it down, I'd feel bad. It's all about respect - from both sides. If they want to celebrate their duality, that's fully possible by adopting some "props" to their clothing, for example by pins or a special tie, or instead use small flags fastened to their pram, for instance. Flag poles should be restricted to the nation's flag. The flag-waving in the parades should be restricted to the nation's flag. It's not about excluding people from the celebrations, it's about celebrating what's meant to be celebrated, and the Norwegian flag represents that - not the flag which shows their heritage.

If they want to celebrate their duality, that's fully possible by adopting some "props" to their clothing, for example by pins or a special tie, or instead use small flags fastened to their pram, for instance. Flag poles should be restricted to the nation's flag. The flag-waving in the parades should be restricted to the nation's flag. It's not about excluding people from the celebrations, it's about celebrating what's meant to be celebrated, and the Norwegian flag represents that - not the flag which shows their heritage.

That seems a bit regimented -that there is one correct way to act and any deviation from that is somehow wrong.
Maybe that works in Norway but here in the US, never.

And what would you do?

If someone angrily ripped it down, I'd feel bad. It's all about respect - from both sides. If they want to celebrate their duality, that's fully possible by adopting some "props" to their clothing, for example by pins or a special tie, or instead use small flags fastened to their pram, for instance. Flag poles should be restricted to the nation's flag. The flag-waving in the parades should be restricted to the nation's flag. It's not about excluding people from the celebrations, it's about celebrating what's meant to be celebrated, and the Norwegian flag represents that - not the flag which shows their heritage.

What about their children's heritage? Their heritage would be both countries.

In all honesty I find the whole "Flag Day" holidays a joke.

I understand being proud of the country we all happened to be born in but damn, it's just a flag.

It might be just a flag to some, and the symbol of their nation to others.

Lew: I disagree that it's regimented by restricting formal flagging on the national day to the nation's flag. Nor would I call it regimented to restrict flags to the national flag in the parades, the foundation of the celebration. I know I would not wave the Norwegian flag on the Swedish national day, nor on anyone else's day. I would feel like I was trespassing, somehow, taking the attention away from the birthday boy, so to speak.

People taking symbols way too seriously? First time that has even happened.

Lighten up, have a cold glass of reindeer blood and relax.

I'm a naturalized US citizen. I love this country, both of my parents served in the US military during the Vietnam War. I will never fly anything other than the flag of a country that has given my family and I so much, the American flag. If I see another Vietnamese waving the Vietnamese flag on a National Day in the US, instead of an American flag, I'd ***** slap him/her all the way back to Vietnam.

I have nothing against Vietnam. It's a beautiful communist country and I was born there.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

That seems a bit regimented -that there is one correct way to act and any deviation from that is somehow wrong.
Maybe that works in Norway but here in the US, never.

Hadn't spent much time down here in the south, then have you? :lmao:
There's folks down here that, if they saw a "foreign" flag flying in THEIR American parade, they'd be likely to grab that pole and...well, never mind what they'd do. They'd see to it that it didn't fly again. It's hateful and ridiculous and it feeds the notion that we're ALL like that, which we're not. It's just that there's a select few who just never seemed to rise past their hillbilly heritage. Maybe because they tend to keep marryin' their cousins. :biglaugh:

Let me be clear: I think that, on a day set aside to celebrate a PARTICULAR country's beginnings or heritage, it is *appropriate* to fly THAT country's flag in any parades or events specifically held to celebrate that day. *I* would find it odd to see another country's flag in the American Independence Day parade...BUT, it wouldn't "offend" me or make me feel like those people were *necessarily* being "unpatriotic", I'd just wonder what the story was.

I've been known to display small flags of my ancestor's home, Ireland. I'm extremely proud to be a third-generation Irish American and see nothing wrong with displaying that pride by displaying the flags of BOTH countries. But on July 4, only the Stars and Stripes will fly outside MY home.

But that's MY rule, and one rule I try to live by is: MY rules don't necessarily have to apply to everybody else. I have a hard enough time policing myself to worry about whether anyone ELSE is living by MY rules. :D

Most reactions

Back