Would you accept other flags than your nation's on your National Day?

I was just thinking to myself, "It's a good thing that everybody in Norway is of the same, exact heritage and place of origin, and it's a good thing that everybody who lives in that nation was born there, and will die there, and will never leave that country."

You should make all those nasty Swedes leave Norway!!!! (see post 18.)

Well from my neck of the woods flags are very divisive. Sure it displays your heritage, but I do wonder how tolerant (in general) US citizens would be to is Brita flying a St Georges Cross or Union Flag on independence day, somehow I don't think it would get a good reception.

At the same time I don't expect to see people brazenly flying the St Georges Cross on St Andrews Day in Scotland. Bear in mind I'm just back from staying in a town up north that has Fort George, a military base north of Inverness built by the English as a symbol of the subjugation of the Scottish nation.

At the same time I would never think of flying a Saltaire or the Lion Rampant if I was in England on St Georges day. And I'm not even going to to onto the complexities of Ireland, that's a whole other debate.

I appriciate why some people would want to celibrate their herratage, but you need to be aware that all countries are not the same and be a bit sensitive to the country you are in. After all it is their day...

There is one day a year that all of Norway flags, and that's 17th of May. No other day. From the largest city to the smallest village, every home with a pole, or a wall-hanger thingy, flags the Norwegian colors, from the south to the north. If this day is changed to a day where we celebrate other people's heritage and Norway's embracing all the other nationalities, it won't be long until people forget why we celebrate 17th of May. You can ask youths on the street, and several today can't tell you why we're celebrating our national day. It's sad. There are 364 days a year people can celebrate their heritage by hoisting streamers or otherwise showing where they come from. I think 17th of May should be for Norway.

My girlfriend's father is American, and celebrated 4th of July by showing the American flag. The next day he took it down. I don't think it's mean to expect people using the Norwegian flag on our national day, or using Pakistani flags on the Pakistani national day.

If someone angrily ripped it down, I'd feel bad. It's all about respect - from both sides. If they want to celebrate their duality, that's fully possible by adopting some "props" to their clothing, for example by pins or a special tie, or instead use small flags fastened to their pram, for instance. Flag poles should be restricted to the nation's flag. The flag-waving in the parades should be restricted to the nation's flag. It's not about excluding people from the celebrations, it's about celebrating what's meant to be celebrated, and the Norwegian flag represents that - not the flag which shows their heritage.

Props are one thing; but having a military background and seeing a person ripping, tearing, burning the American flag.

Sounds like they need to get his ungrateful a$$ beat (especially in the American South). I'm all for diversity but as far as July 4th is concern, Old Glory ftw.

In this thread: a foreigner who is slightly more close minded than an average American. ;-)

Is it me? Am I the foreigner? :p

Last edited:
I'm with you, Compaq. A National holiday should be a celebration of that Nation. Wave your flag on your own Nation's holiday if you like - that I don't have a problem with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back