Would you adopt any of these dogs from the photo?

Technically speaking, I would look to improve the lighting quality, watch for proper WB. Focus seems ever so soft on most but that could be becuase of the light quality. Use a tight aperture setting (F/8) to reduce DOF issues (not that I see any, but as a suggestion). Bouncing the flash off the ceiling would help a lot. Most building ceilings are white and very helpful.

For the sake of selling the dog, few shots make the dog look more appealing than full body shots of them standing or sitting at the 3/4 angle. Use head shots (mug shots... lol), as secondary shots, not the primary.

Keep a little doggie treat around to attract their attention when taking the shot.

Cheers JerryPH.

I had just received the Nikkor 35mm f/2 this week and was using it for the first time that night, primarily for head shots. I am considering returning it for the ($$$OMG$$$) f/1.4. Somebody, please tell me NO. I used a Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 for the full body shots on the larger dogs.

Getting the white balance correct was an issue. I did use a flash firing backwards as well. Can I give a big shout out to elsapet right now for the 35mm and backflash ideas?

If I can rant for just a moment:
Just as a bit of background on this shelter. It is an accept all - no refuse shelter and a subsidary of the Dept of Health. Unfortunately, with an annual acceptance of about 10K animals per year, it can't be a no-kill shelter. Euthanasia is part and parcel. Space is limited.

Please, Please, Please spay and neuter your pets.

Thanks again for your comments.

im in love with Booboo! lol
i guess that means you succeeded, good job

Most reactions

Back