• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Simonko1997

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello !

My name is Simon and with my friend we were thinking or come up with the idea of opening a online store for selling photo prints and originals. My friend Uroš is a very good photographer and he has been in photo world for about 3 years now and he is doing great. His pictures got some crazy ratings last few months. Now we have to decide if we can sell the prints. Prints would be high quality in any size , price range will be set in next few days. We were thinking from 15-50$ per photo print depends on size and material. And from 30- 300€ for an original Also possibility for costumer to buy frames and costum his own photo. ( For a bit higher price ). What do you think ?

PS: Photos can be photoshoped if costumer wants them to be , if not we print originals and we dont add any colour modifications on it. Pure clean photo.
Every photo has been and Will be taken with professional tools and equipment.

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.
In my opinion this might be the wrong place to ask. Many photographers (and this is a forum for photographers) rather print their own photographs.

I would rather print my own. However I have purchased prints direct from the photographer at art fairs. I will continue to support local artists. Although probably won't buy from a website unless I know the artist already

Ok thanks for your opinion everything is still in progress stage so we are working on it.

Hello !

My name is Simon and with my friend we were thinking or come up with the idea of opening a online store for selling photo prints and originals. My friend Uroš ...
Uroš? Odakle ste?

We are both from Slovenia

Hello !

My name is Simon and with my friend we were thinking or come up with the idea of opening a online store for selling photo prints and originals. My friend Uroš is a very good photographer and he has been in photo world for about 3 years now and he is doing great. His pictures got some crazy ratings last few months. Now we have to decide if we can sell the prints. Prints would be high quality in any size , price range will be set in next few days. We were thinking from 15-50$ per photo print depends on size and material. And from 30- 300€ for an original Also possibility for costumer to buy frames and costum his own photo. ( For a bit higher price ). What do you think ?

PS: Photos can be photoshoped if costumer wants them to be , if not we print originals and we dont add any colour modifications on it. Pure clean photo.
Every photo has been and Will be taken with professional tools and equipment.
Yes, I have purchased photographic prints, but not many.

Your suggested price range is reasonable, but bear in mind that we would not normally think of any print as an "original". If you are selling exclusivity, you must assure the purchaser that he is getting the ONLY ONE, and there will never be any more prints made. This is difficult, and frankly, I doubt if any buyer would even care about that.

Offering editing to purchasers as an option is silly. You should offer only finished images, and show them on your website as what is being offered for sale.

If the photographer ever has any intention to license his work for commercial purposes, then you probably don't want to start selling prints of the same images.

These days millions of photos are added to the Internet every minute.

The challenge you face is figuring out a way to get people to visit your web site instead of one of the many well established photo web sites, like Flickr or 500px where people can buy prints for way less than your prices.
You'll need to spend a bunch of time promoting your site and Uroš.
Has Uroš gotten any media attention or other recognition for his photographs?

There are lots and lots of talented photographers out there consistently making very high quality photos that are not able to make any money from their photography.
Why? Because they don't have any business starting/running skills.
The first step is to research and write a business and marketing plan which is how you determine if there is a market that will support the business.

Lastly, the vast majority of people that do buy prints buy prints of photos they and/or other family members are in.
In other words, photos that don't have people in them hardly ever get bought as prints.

Good luck with your venture.

thanks for explanation :) any yea uroš has got some attention with his last photos getting up to 6.000 likes in flicker. and many followers.

thanks for explanation :) any yea uroš has got some attention with his last photos getting up to 6.000 likes in flicker. and many followers.
Put prices on some of them and see if anybody will buy them.

Congrats on his likes and following in flickr. And best of luck with your idea of selling prints. It's not impossible to do, but as mentioned by Keith, be prepared that it will not be easy.

Getting likes and followers is not the same as getting orders for prints. I myself like many photos daily on either flickr or 500px but I have yet to order prints of any of them.

Appreciation of photos from other photographers is something that is great and makes you feel good but it does little for your pocket book or meeting your living expenses.

Put prices on some of them and see if anybody will buy them.

"Likes" are given, for free, with a single, quick, effortless click of the mouse or trackpad. Selling products requires motivating buyers to take action, to decide to purchase, to trust the seller with credit card information, and to fill out the forms. The idea of two fellows selling photo prints over the internet is an old idea, and one that basically, does not work. The two of you are not the first people to come up with the idea that popular, well-liked images on a free aggregator site will somehow sell lots of prints. That's not how photography is bought these days, nor how it is consumed/used.

There are MILLIONS of images that can easily, easily be stolen, for free. Every day, millions of good images are uploaded to the web, free for the stealing.

As someone who attempts to sell prints and who has purchased them, good luck. It's a hard market and you either have to sell images of pretty things such as flowers, mountains, streams. . . which targets a broad audience or something very artistic that appeals to a small percentage.

I have bought three prints, two from Ryan Muirhead, one from Polly Chandler and in the process of buying a print from our very own @DanOstergren

I look up to these people not just for their talent as a photographer but because they are good people and have been kind to me. At some level I feel as though I can relate to them in some way.

As someone who attempts to sell prints and who has purchased them, good luck. It's a hard market and you either have to sell images of pretty things such as flowers, mountains, streams. . . which targets a broad audience or something very artistic that appeals to a small percentage.

I have bought three prints, two from Ryan Muirhead, one from Polly Chandler and in the process of buying a print from our very own @DanOstergren

I look up to these people not just for their talent as a photographer but because they are good people and have been kind to me. At some level I feel as though I can relate to them in some way.
9306e80f36a226366b7729068b4da96a_by_danostergren-db0044t.jpg

I forgot to answer the poll.

I buy prints.
But the prints I buy are prints of photographs made by me, printed by one of the various professional print labs I used before I retired.

Basically, your poll is ineffective because it is not specific enough for your intended purpose.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back