Would you buy this camera?

panblue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Digital SLR camera...

Traditional, fairly angular form-factor. Fairly hefty..think 'Contax RTS' + motorwind.
Penta-prism VF; 100% coverage.
Full-frame sensor; D3 imaging pipeline (NEF, JPG). Customizable JPG output via
editable script in SD card root folder.

* no metering.
* manual focus only.
* 'Sensor to flange' distance 27.80mm.
* Native Leica M/Zeiss ZM mount.
* Included in the box: Canon EF adaptor, Nikon F adaptor, M42 adaptor.
* Electronic global shutter; X-sync 1/500sec.
* Li-Ion battery and 4xAA tray-compartment (Li-Ion is default/primary,
AA as backup option).
* 2 x SD card ports (card1: JPG, card2: NEF).
* No rear LCD
* LED readouts in the viewfinder.

No metering is an odd one in a digital camera - esp since I was under the impression that most cameras were having built in meters long before digital even came on the scene. Honestly myself if I wanted a "cheaper" fullframe digital camera I'd as sooner get a 5D second hand than anything else.

I don't know though, that just seems to be an odd and difficult bundle of features with no metering and no LCD (so you're really going back a long way to full manual photography with a light meter); also if its a very early digital a fair few of them were, whilst new, not all that fantastic from what I gather.

Last edited:
No metering is an odd one in a digital camera - esp since I was under the impression that most cameras were having built in meters long before digital even came on the scene. Honestly myself if I wanted a "cheaper" fullframe digital camera I'd as sooner get a 5D second hand than anything else.

I don't know though, that just seems to be an odd and difficult bundle of features with no metering and no LCD (so you're really going back a long way to full manual photography with a light meter); also if its a very early digital a fair few of them were, whilst new, not all that fantastic from what I gather.

Right!..scrap this cheap as chips FF digital for the gentleman enthusiast...get Clive Sinclair back on the blower..tell him it's a no-go!

panblue said:
Right!..scrap this cheap as chips FF digital for the gentleman enthusiast...get Clive Sinclair back on the blower..tell him it's a no-go!

A digital without a screen is a no go people who shoot digital need instant gratification

panblue said:

A digital without a screen is a no go people who shoot digital need instant gratification

*cough* Polariod *cough cough*

(seriously I got a cold... lemsip is killing it fast thankfully but still...)

Not physically to have both a pentaprism viewfinder and a leica M mount.

Believe it or not there is a small niche market for a bare bones manual camera without LCD with a digital sensor.

Not physically to have both a pentaprism viewfinder and a leica M mount.
Thanks for the correction.

Believe it or not there is a small niche market for a bare bones manual camera without LCD with a digital sensor
You mean possibly two of us?

There are more... but its not a large market.

Its one of the reasons why the Epson R-D1 was popular among certain circles (including me). The camera can and most often operated completely with the LCD folded inwards. The major controls (including ISO) was controlled via analog dials in the traditional locations of a manual film camera. I shot the R-D1 just like I ddi in the film days...

There's also quite a bit of chatter among the Leica forums for such a camera. Born from those discussion was the Leica Monochrom.

Its one of the reasons why the Epson R-D1 was popular among certain circles (including me). The camera can and most often operated completely with the LCD folded inwards. The major controls (including ISO) was controlled via analog dials in the traditional locations of a manual film camera. I shot the R-D1 just like I ddi in the film days...

There's also quite a bit of chatter among the Leica forums for such a camera. Born from those discussion was the Leica Monochrom.

I'm familiar with needle dials on the R-D1. R for Bessa R? Cosina body. I have a folder of colour profiles for a raw editor. Loading a profile gives a different colour basis for developing the image. My favourites are the D3, Digilux 3 and Epson R-D1. The M9's profile is very dark..like a lower gamma point. Sinar, Aptek and others ones for digital backs are very saturated with colour shifts.

Last edited:
Slightly different from the Bessa R but yes the R-D1 is a Epson modified Cosina rangefinder body design.

Color profiles are specific to the cameras and their sensors.... if you want filters I highly recommend Nik Software.

No meter seems kind of stupid. Same with no LCD screen. The two items missing in one camera? "Ridonculous!", as Jimmy Fallon says!

But there is one HUGE, real, actual problem with your hypothetical camera: with the,"Sensor to flange' distance 27.80mm.
* Native Leica M/Zeiss ZM mount.
* Included in the box: Canon EF adaptor, Nikon F adaptor, M42 adaptor."

Why have an EF, F, and M42 adapter??? With that short of a flange to film distance, EF, F, and M42 lenses are going to be almost USELESS on the camera...all of those lens mounts have MUCH LONGER flange-to-film distances, so there's basically no good uses for 35mm-system lenses.

Now, IF THIS hypothetical camera had a Looooooooong flange-to-film distance, then it would make some actual sense...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back