Would you do the same in this situation?

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While on our beach trip, I was taking random photos of people, as practice. Came across a family with 2 little kids, cute and snapped a few photos. Which got me to thinking, that these pictures should be something I felt they needed to have to capture their moments. After debating for a few mins, finally had the courage to ask (w/out knowing what they'd think) if they'd like to see some photos of them that I took while standing there. I was very happy to see the guy (very young couple) just laughed and said "wow, yes, they're wonderful!" so I went on to ask him for his e-mail address and he couldn't have been happier to get copies of the pix. Do you guys do such things? I thought of having a business card with me just to hand them out to people so they can go into my website (currently working on it) to check out their photos. Any suggestions on how to handle the situation? Or just not bother and move on with the pix?

(I'm having some issues w/ the 75-300mm lens. Its quiet slow and when on the move, pix come out blurry....ehh still practicing)

1. (I added a little more saturation to this pic to get that "sunny" effect)
AssateagueIsland420.jpg

AssateagueIsland2016.jpg

I recommend being very careful about shooting other people's kids without asking permission first. I assume people out in public are fair game for non-commercial shooting so you're probably entitled to do this, but understand the range of reactions you might get. As a parent, I've seen too many news stories about child predators to to be dismissive about a stranger focusing a lot of attention on my kids. If I saw someone shooting them without prior explanation, I would probably approach that person and ask for an explanation. I suppose I would find your explanation reasonable, but there still might be a nagging doubt that the shooter is some sort of predator. If I needed to use these subjects, I would either shoot very discretely (which perhaps you did), or I would feel compelled to ask permission first.

Oh yeah, I did, believe me I am so new to this, I don't have the courage to ask people yet to take their pics (random). Also sometimes I make my wife stand there pretending to take her pix (hah). I've also shot these with 300mm lens and was far away (as they are cropped after PP). As far as the law goes, there's nothing against that. Thanks for looking out though. Like I said, I'm going to get some business cards printed soon and they're very cheap so that'd help in case if anyone asks questions.

I just love number 1. That could probably go into contest in the future. the boys face and the dads smile realy make the picture light up. You can feel a bond between the two.

(I'm having some issues w/ the 75-300mm lens. Its quiet slow and when on the move, pix come out blurry....ehh still practicing)

I found out quickly with my Canon 75-300mm that it doesn't have image stabilization like the 18-55 kit lens that came with my Rebel.

so shooting at 300mm means you really need a high shutter speed, or a tri-pod. you should have def had enough light on the beach, but also a lot of motion and movement so a high shutter speed should help.

I just love number 1. That could probably go into contest in the future. the boys face and the dads smile realy make the picture light up. You can feel a bond between the two.

I'll give that a shot. Would be interested to see how far I could go. But there are so many better photographers out there than me, probably very slim for me getting to top spot :lol:

Have done that very thing, sometimes i have asked, sometimes not.

Give them my email address so they can be in control of the process and then email them a copy , or i may ask for a way to mail the photo to them. Usual spend a bit of time chatting so they feel more comfortable.

Being an old gray hair woman may help.

Have done that very thing, sometimes i have asked, sometimes not.

Give them my email address so they can be in control of the process and then email them a copy , or i may ask for a way to mail the photo to them. Usual spend a bit of time chatting so they feel more comfortable.

Being an old gray hair woman may help.

That's it I gotta get a wig! :lmao: But my wife's a sweet person so she's next to me, makes me feel a little better. Yeah I also pictured how it could have gone totally opposit and him getting pissed. But I did chat with him and he semed like he wasn't the type to turn around and punch me :D

Yeah, with kids...I would ask first. Also..i like the first shot...but as for the second, try not cropping her head and face off it almost looks like the focus is on her body as a result which I would strongly suggest you avoid in child photos. Obviously this was unintentional, but I would scrutinize them more since its strangers kids.

Yeah, with kids...I would ask first. Also..i like the first shot...but as for the second, try not cropping her head and face off it almost looks like the focus is on her body as a result which I would strongly suggest you avoid in child photos. Obviously this was unintentional, but I would scrutinize them more since its strangers kids.

:thumbup: I've also got the entire family. Got tons of pix of them. I have yet to send him all the photos. But thought those 2 were nicest out of all. Beside that one, most of them are with the parents. I don't do people photos as much but once I start getting into it, I'll start to ask ones w/ kids.

Business cards are good. They automatically tend to make people take you more seriously.

No never shoot children unless i'm asked, your other problem is not the lens it is your settings check your exif and you will see the problem 1/100 at 225mm, you need 1/400 minimum with a steady head

I have thought about asking them if they would like my crappy picture-- but have not. But I will ask someone if they would like me to take pictures for them. I often wish people would offer to take a picture of me with my kids-- I don't have many pictures of all of us together.

People get really happy when I say.. Hey, let me take a picture of all of you...

I have thought about asking them if they would like my crappy picture-- but have not. But I will ask someone if they would like me to take pictures for them. I often wish people would offer to take a picture of me with my kids-- I don't have many pictures of all of us together.

People get really happy when I say.. Hey, let me take a picture of all of you...

If I'm ever in CA area I'll take pix for you :D

Most reactions

Back