Writers block for photographers?

Blake.Oney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since I started shooting I've never had any problems finding or making something to shoot on my off days. I mainly do people photography and I'm still fine with that, but I also have a lot of time to shoot other things and I'm just uninspired lately. It's depressing the crap out of me. I try to push through it, but when I do suck it up and take the camera out I just take crap pictures because it's almost like taking snapshots. I'm not seeing any purpose in anything. Anyway to end the rant before it becomes a wall of text has anyone else been through this? What did you do to end it?

I suggest buying a new lens if you are able to.

Sometimes, it can give you a new perspective on things.

~Michael~

Just put the camera down for a little. Give yourself a break from shooting and at somepoint you will come back to it. Sounds like your making it more like a job than a hobby.

I know how you feel, sometimes I get in a rut as well. When I'm out of creativity I'll just browse on Flickr to get some new perspective on shots, look at magazines for poses that I'd like to try in my work, or even just wander aimlessly on B&H. This forum is also really great for me, because by seeing other people's techniques and strategies for shoots and composition I get ideas for my own work. Good luck! :)

Just put the camera down for a little. Give yourself a break from shooting and at somepoint you will come back to it. Sounds like your making it more like a job than a hobby.

Diz-actly! Good advice, I think.

Diz-actly! Good advice, I think.

+1

It's perfectly natural to sometimes get very hooked on a single hobby or interest and then - suddenly without warning you get bored of it. Can happen in a week, month, years - for most people it happens at some point. At that point the best thing to do is just to put it to one side for a while and either go back to a previous hobby or take up something new.

Some people get into the whole "I'll sell my XYZ" I however say that unless you're financially pressured to do so try not to do that. Because at some point later you'll be sitting there and suddenly "Darn I wish I had my XYZ". You'll get that drive back for the hobby again and you'll always find that since you put it on pause all the gears upgraded - all the costs have gone up and the gear you once had is either unavailable or has sky rocketed into the level of a classic and is way our of your reach. The result is you have to start all over again .

I'm not selling anything. I always have new ideas for stuff with people, but over the last year photography has pretty much been the only thing I've even been interested in. I know I've probably kind of burnt myself out, but the weird thing is that I still have the desire to keep creating and producing, but without the creativity I'm creating and producing crap. I'm thinking maybe going into more photo manipulation like when I first started (I started photography while in graphic design school).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back