WTB: Nikon 300mm ED AF-S

greybeard

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for a Nikon 300mm ED AF-S in excellent condition.

NO LONGER LOOKING

Last edited:
Used photo pro has a mint af 2.8 ed version in mint- condition for $1300
NIKON NIKKOR AF 300MM F2.8 ED IF LENS 300/2.8
That is a pretty cool place. 1 yr warranty!!!!! on a used lens. Tough to beat. I'm looking for an f/4 which they have for like $300 in very good condition. It's between that one and one from Adorama which is an AF-S model for around $600.00

Thanks for the tip.

That is a pretty cool place. 1 yr warranty!!!!! on a used lens. Tough to beat. I'm looking for an f/4 which they have for like $300 in very good condition. It's between that one and one from Adorama which is an AF-S model for around $600.00

Thanks for the tip.
They are way better than Adorama. They actually inspect their stuff. Very high standards.

Thanks for the tip.
They are Robert's Camera on Ebay.

Nikon Nikkor AF 300mm f4 ED Lens 300/4 #143 18208019465 | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You want the 300mm f/4 AF-S version,more so than the older 300mm ED- AF-d f/4 screw-driven lens. Seriously...you want the AF-S lens...not a 20-plus year-old mechanically screw-driven lens. AF-S technology allows amazing predictive focusing...the lens data can be read, and the focusing system in a modern Nikon can drive the lens right to the needed focusing point...with screw drive, there's a lot more hunting and hesitating, and the lens can _not_ predictively be driven right to the focus distance in one movement,time after time after time.

A 300/2.8 is almost un-usable in many "social" photography situations...whereas the 300/4 is around the same size as most 70-200mm f/2.8 AF zooms.

The 300mm f/4 AF-S at $600 is a bargain! You reallllllllly want the AF-S model,much more so than the ED model with screw-driven focusing.

I just pulled the trigger on a 300mm f/4 AF-S and a Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x Teleconverter from Adorama. 6mo warranty with a 30 day return policy. I can live with that. I considered the older screw drive model but everything I read about it said SLOW TO FOCUS which makes moving wildlife tough. I have tried the AF-S model in a camera store and I was very impressed with how fast it focused and how close it could focus at 4ft!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input.

I just pulled the trigger on a 300mm f/4 AF-S and a Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x Teleconverter from Adorama. 6mo warranty with a 30 day return policy. I can live with that. I considered the older screw drive model but everything I read about it said SLOW TO FOCUS which makes moving wildlife tough. I have tried the AF-S model in a camera store and I was very impressed with how fast it focused and how close it could focus at 4ft!!!!!

Cool. Glad you got the one Derrel was talking about. He knows his Nikkor glass.

HOORAY for YOU!!!! Yippeee!

The 300/4 AF-S Nikkor is a fantastic lens when used with a short to medium length extension tube, or with the 1.4x TC units, for very nice sort of "long-range close-up" shots. Adding the TC makes the image larger, and the minimum focusing distance is soooooo short for a 300mm lens! I grew up in the era when a 300mm focused to like 7 or 8 feet, if that. The 300/4 AF-S is one of the closest-focusing long focal length lenses one could hope for! As I said, either, or both, the 1.4x TC and the 12mm or 20mm extension tubes can be used for amazing close-ups. And...a 420mm effective focal length at f/5.6 is pretty sweet.

My 300/4 AF-S came BRAND-new in 2002 with a slight focusing "squeak" in the AF-S motor a, and it lasted for 15 years or so, without any problem developing. Be aware...this is not always a dire, impending doom scenario...a tiny chirrup or squeak the first time the lens is focused was SOP for my 300/4. I finally sold the lens last year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back