What's new

WTB: SLR body, lenses etc for beginner

JamesR

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 15, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
DFW, TX
Hi guys, I'm new here which is obvious from my post count but I'm pretty well versed in using web forums and have found enthusiast forums to be the best place to buy well cared for gear of any kind.

Anyhow I'll be taking some photography classes this next semester in college and I need a decent 35mm SLR setup. I'm new to photography in general, though it was a huge hobby of my dad's; I'm not well educated on popular gear but what I need is a good performance/dollar ratio. I don't have a lot of money to spend and my professor has recommended I look for a Pentax K1000 or similar body. I'll need a couple of lenses, one to cover the 50mm range and a telephoto lens.

There are a few other items that my prof says I'll need to get, and that I can source locally, but in case someone has everything and can give me a good package deal I'll list them here too:

remote shutter cable
Hewes SS 35mm processing reel
tripod (perhaps too bulky to make shipping reasonable but I'll list it anyway)
Iso-400 B&W film

I don't want to get too crazy so no "professional" grade stuff necessary, I am just a poor college student who wants to learn a bit about photography.

Thanks in advance guys!
 
Hi guys, I'm new here which is obvious from my post count but I'm pretty well versed in using web forums and have found enthusiast forums to be the best place to buy well cared for gear of any kind.

Anyhow I'll be taking some photography classes this next semester in college and I need a decent 35mm SLR setup. I'm new to photography in general, though it was a huge hobby of my dad's; I'm not well educated on popular gear but what I need is a good performance/dollar ratio. I don't have a lot of money to spend and my professor has recommended I look for a Pentax K1000 or similar body. I'll need a couple of lenses, one to cover the 50mm range and a telephoto lens.

There are a few other items that my prof says I'll need to get, and that I can source locally, but in case someone has everything and can give me a good package deal I'll list them here too:

remote shutter cable
Hewes SS 35mm processing reel
tripod (perhaps too bulky to make shipping reasonable but I'll list it anyway)
Iso-400 B&W film

I don't want to get too crazy so no "professional" grade stuff necessary, I am just a poor college student who wants to learn a bit about photography.

Thanks in advance guys!


Did you check the CL listings in your area . I see K1000 cameras and the like on CL all the time for very little money . Many times $50 or less.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom