Wtd: Digital SLR camera, not expensive!

Fatmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm fairly new to photography, i've been using basic digital cameras, and 35mm slr's for a while, and have decided to make the move to a digital SLR type camera.

Basically, i'm looking for something that does the job. Works, fully functional, am not too fussy at all. :)

As long as it's fairly cheap, i'm open to anything.

I'm in the Uk, but shipping shouldn't be too much, i import alot into the uk anyway.

Regards, Mike.

Your options are:

Buy a new, lower end consumer DSLR, like Canon 300D, 350D (which is coming out soon), Nikon D70, Pentax istD, etc....

or....

Buy a used model one up from those with slightly more features, betterbuild, like a Canon 10D, or Nikon D100.

Buy a used 300D, especially after the 350D comes out.

Buy a nice, more pro camera and spend more around $1500 USD, like Canon 20D.

Compare features and price of all of these at www.dpreview.com

If you have used 35mm film SLRs, then the question is what brand, and do you have lenses? Buying from the same company will probably mean that your lenses are compatible, which is always good.

I've got some cannon lenses now, but really am looking for something that's inexpensive!

Regards, Mike.

fatmike, whats your budget? there really isnt anything inexpensive about DSLR's.

md

MDowdey said:
fatmike, whats your budget? there really isnt anything inexpensive about DSLR's.
md

The Canon 300D is about £530 in the Uk, (About $1150 us), which is more than double that i'm willing to spend.

Ideally, about $500, ~£250 is my max. If anyone's got anything within that kind of price area, it'd be fantastic, like i said, i'm not incredibly fussy. :)

Also, what's the difference/advantages/disadvantages with the dSLR and the "standard" SLR?

Thanks, Mike.

Fatmike, your budget is a bit low for a DSLR, I'm sorry to say. I don't even think you could get a used 300D for $500. Maybe $600 (ish). You could look for a used D30 or D60, but honestly, I think you should just save that money. Even for the cheapest consumer DLSR you'll want to have a good $1200 to spend, for extras like memory, tripod, extra battery, etc... It's a big investment.

I know it's a low budget, but things like tripods, cf cards etc i've already got.

This one i've found's a little basic, 2.3Mpixel, no room for upgrading lense, but a 35-105mm isn't that bad, and it is very cheap, and would be good to at least get me started into dSLR (thanks) photography.

Thanks for your help so far.

Mike.

EDIT: Whoops, i completely forgot to add the one i was talking about. :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10575&item=3875244354&rd=1

I'm pretty sure it is a "proper" dSLR, it seems it, whereas i do know that most standard digital cameras can't accept other lenses!

fatmike, i think you are confusing compact digi cams with DSLR's to be honest. anything with a fixed, unremovable lens isnt a true DSLR.

md

Fatmike, I just ran across this deal last night. It's on a Missouri Photo Forum I go to and there is someone selling a Digital Rebel (300d) for 500 bucks plus extras (bag and other stuff). Here's a link to the forum there: http://www.missouriphoto.net/forums/ Look at the bottom of the board under the For Sale part. I don't know anything about the guy or the camera, so it's up to you, but it looks like a steal to me :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back