WWII re-enactment photos from today

these are all pretty darn cool. Ill have to show them to my brother when he gets home. (he's going into the Marines after college)

I like how you didnt go overboard with the desaturation....I hate when peopole make it to the point where hardly any color is visible at all....you did it just right *high five*

Awesome!

Love the post work here.

Just a question though. Would adding some noise make it look more from the period, or some other treatment? I don't know, but the pictures look too good ( :) ) to be from WWII.

Haha awesome pictures! Makes me want to put my WWII gear on and go run around! The action shot of the spent shell casing coming out of the M1 garand is really cool.

-Matt.

I am thinking of doing some more editing to the images, adding more of an aged look. I do like the detail of the ones above, but what do you think if I did something like this to them?

526999329_qxYey-L.jpg

I added some film grain, a little noise and some scratches.

Thank you. :D

Ok, here's another action shot:

526597926_NC2qd-L.jpg

Wow! Is that actually spent brass being ejected? Awesome capture!!

And the desaturated look works really well, Tim! The only thing I might add in some is a border.. Borders work really well when there's sky to give the picture definition in space.

These are some really nice pics, and I'd imagine the actors would LOVE to get some of them!

Ok, here's an over the top edit. What do you think of this one?

527069521_weL4D-L.jpg

527265129_BMTyQ-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I think they are great, but I think somewhere between the first and last set is where you need to be. I think the last are "overdown" with the false imperfections. I have never really went for an aged look, so I cannot give any pointers, but I think your last set is "overdone". Great shots though! 5D mark II?

I think they are great, but I think somewhere between the first and last set is where you need to be. I think the last are "overdown" with the false imperfections. I have never really went for an aged look, so I cannot give any pointers, but I think your last set is "overdone". Great shots though! 5D mark II?
I'm still tinkering, but I think I like the vintage photo look as if they are scans of old pictures. That's what I was going for with the edits.

I shot these with my 1D Mark III. I brought it along because I knew I would be shooting both action and portraits. The 1D's AF system is priceless in such situations.

Ok, here's an over the top edit. What do you think of this one?

527069521_weL4D-L.jpg

If the image is not that sharp, it would be better. I just don't buy it that a 60 yrs old picture from the battlefield can be that sharp and detail.

If the image is not that sharp, it would be better. I just don't buy it that a 60 yrs old picture from the battlefield can be that sharp and detail.
If you look around on Google, you'll find that WWII photos (even color) weren't all that bad.

Here's an example. Some are worse than others, and some are far better.

ww2.jpg

Tharmsen those are fantastic!! Love the spent cartridge flying one, great shots!!! (I can almost hear the "ching!!" sound when that last round gets fired)

your "over the top" edit is amazing.

You could have said you scanned an original WWII picture and I would have beleived it.

Very very very good job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back