x-rays

panocho

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've read a lot about airports' x-rays damaging the film, but... is that really so or it's rather another one of those obsesed-exagerations? what do your experiences say?
As far as I'm concerned, I've been scanned film a lot of times, and never noticed any real damage. And I'm talking about both unexposed and exposed film. Sometimes I did notice some lack of color saturation, for example, but I'm pretty sure that's my fault (bad photographer, you know ;) ) or/and the film I chose, but not x-rays, since that was definitely not a clear fog, or things like that.

Soon I'll be travelling with a lot of film (again, both exposed and unexposed) and I'm becoming a little obsesed, I must confess. Should I really worry about x-rays? what are your experiences?

It depends on the film speed. If you're just using slow 100 or 200 speed film, then you wont' have any trouble going through airport security a couple times. If you're using 3200 speed, you probably will and should have it handchecked. I am not sure where the breaking point in between is.

Its seems logical that X-rays would damage film after all X-rays are just light beyond ultraviolet, but I can't talk from experience so this post really dosn't help you much, sorry :p

I've never had a roll of film damaged before. But it's always been low ASA never higher than 200. I've looked around a bit on the net and most people say that even low ASA film will be damaged if you x-ray scan it more than 4 or 5 times.
You also have to remember that different airports might have different strengths of x-ray scanning as well. If in doubt - just get them to hand check it.

It depends on what you consider acceptable risks. I hand check all film that I am carrying on me, and try to overnight Fed Ex the rest to my destination.

Most reactions

Back