Xmas Bokeh out of the way and a few lessons...

Daf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dafshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I was watching some the Bryan Peterson Adorama TV segments on flash today. Wanted to try a few things this afternoon. The photo below is the result of a couple of hours practicing some of the Peterson tips.

Things I wanted to accomplish:
1 - Get the Christmas light bokeh thing out of the way, I was dying to try it - beginner thing I guess. I'm over it for now. ;)
2 - Use a snoot to isolate the flash to one area
3 - Remove the ambient light from the equation.
4 - Use the shutter speed to make the background disappear (other than the bokeh).
5 - Frame within the camera - there is only a tiny bit of crop on the final image.
6 - Make a nice Christmas photo for my wife who thinks I'm the best photographer in the world. :)

The settings for this were: 50mm f/2.0 1/320th ISO 100 - SB 600 with homemade snoot - off camera TTL - D7000 in commander mode.
I shot a bunch - I think this one was one of the better.
Mistakes I can see for myself - maybe should have use a higher aperture to get the right antler/ear in focus. I didn't really see that until I was already in Lightroom. Didn't want to reshoot for this.

Overall I like it okay. Any comments or critique would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Daf

xmas_momiji_1.jpg

Personally, I like it. Great bokeh. Rule of thirds used great. Exposure is good besides the blownout highlight, but I like it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, thierry! :D

Ack - I was so wrapped up in all the other stuff the highlight slipped by me. I should have shot the snoot through a soft box? Not sure how to fix the highlight, will work on that.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back