Xmas Software gift question

mikeadams57

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to all. I am not the photographer in the family. My 18 year old son is. He wants to make digital photography his career. I will introduce him to this forum. In the meantime though...
He would like a macro lens for close-up pictures. They are expensive so that one may have to wait. He has a photoshop type of digital application that he downloaded.
But I would like to get him something that's good for him to edit, manipulate, etc. his photos, without of course breaking the bank! Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and happy holidays.

MA57

Welcome to the forum.

Photoshop is really the standard software for photo editing and many other image manipulation. The full version is very expensive though. He probably qualifies for the student version though, which is the same program, just a lot cheaper.

There is also, Photoshop Elements, which is basically 'Photoshop Lite'.

You might also consider Adobe Lightroom. It's a fantastic program for digital photographers. It's a 'workflow' software that helps you work though a large number of digital photos in a very efficient way. It has some editing tools, but it's strength is how it lets you control your workflow in a non-destructive way.
It doesn't replace Photoshop, but most people find that they need to use Photoshop much less when they integrate Lightroom into their workflow.
There is also a student price for Lightroom, I think it's $99.
The current version is 2 (point somthing)...but version 3 should be out by spring.

Another idea for an X-mas gift would be a Wacom Tablet. A very good tool for the serious photo editor.

Lightroom is my favorite for digital photography. its cheaper than photoshop and is actually more advanced as far as image adjustments go. If he plans on doing more advanced creative/design type of thing, go with photoshop.

Ill post some lightroom before and afters.

These are with lightroom editing only
Before
IMG_2671-1.jpg

After
IMG_2671.jpg

Before
IMG_1315-1.jpg

After
IMG_1315.jpg

Before
IMG_1240-1.jpg

After
IMG_1240.jpg

Lightroom is my favorite for digital photography. its cheaper than photoshop and is actually more advanced as far as image adjustments go.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom lacks many of the essential Adobe Photoshop CS4 image editing tools a digital photographer needs, to have a complete image editor. Adobe designed Lightroom as a compliment to Photoshop, not a replacement for it.

The major piece missing from Lightroom is the ability to make Layers, particularly adjustment layers. Lightroom also lacks many of the sophisticated adjustment tools like Levels and Curves. Lightroom combines those 2 very sophisticated Photoshop tools into a very limited Tone Curve tool. Lightroom does not have a text tool.

Those are just a couple of examples.

At some point your son will need to learn how to use both Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Phoptoshop Lightroom. Since he is planning a career in photography, I can't stress enough that he needs to take business classes even if he doesn't plan on starting his own business.

For now Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 would be good since it has 85% of the features of Photoshop CS4.

Mike mentioned Adobe's Education Store where they offer the Student Editions of their software at up to 80% off the retail price (CS4 Extended $1000 retail, Student Edition $199). Adobe requires Education Store buyers submit a copy of their Student picture ID card.

Student editions are exactly the same as the full priced versions, upon graduation a student can upgrade to the next release level available at the same cost as regular users, ans can use their Student Edition for commercial purposes while in school. Adobe - Search: student edition upgrades

this is true. iv alwys had both so i guess i dont really miss anything. both would be the best.

I have a macro attachment that I love! $70 on Ebay. It goes onto the end of my lens, it was an incredible purchase, I adore it. Its perfect for my upclose ring shots at weddings. So that might be a good starting point for him.

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and helpful answers. I think the thing to do at this point is to sit down with him and discuss what will work best for him.
I got a great answer from Wacom explaining their product to me so I know more now than I did before.
Thanks Big Mike for the info on student discounts, they can be huge!
Machu I like the pictures. They're similar in style to what my son likes to do.
KmH thanks for the reviews that will help both of us a lot!
And JM thanks for the macro lens info. We had seen the Nikkor prices and that got him very worried. But I looked on Ebay and did a little research on macro lenses and found we can do this quite affordable. We might even be able to go the whole kit and kaboodle this holiday!

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully he will join the forum as well and get started.

Happy holidays!

Most reactions

Back