Yashica Quartz FX-D mirror stuck

mub15rl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

I took a photo with my Yashica Quartz FX-D and the mirror never came down. The wind on lever is stuck and won't move forward and although I can push the capture button down, no picture is taken.

The mirror is definitely not stuck up because it's gummy, I took it to the repair shop and they said it's the mirror mechanism, but the quote of £75 is too expensive for me.

Does anyone know how to fix this at home? I've tried removing the bottom of the camera but everything seems fine..

Please help! Thank you!

Fresh batteries? Check for an online manual, too.

Unfortunately not the batteries, tried that! Can't seem to find a repair manual anywhere and it's not discussed in the user manual.

If the battery lacked enough power during the last shot it may not reset the mechanisms (just a theory of mine), so put in a new battery and give the camera a hard slap on the bottom ... my theory is that the camera thinks the shutter has not completed its cycle, so causing the shutter to move will trip whatever sensor/mechanism into thinking everything is done.
This is something I have done in the past when customers brought in cameras in this condition ... sometimes I have had to manually pull the shutter curtain and quickly release it to do this (you actually have to use one finger on both hands to grasp the shutter on both sides ... though this is much easier to do with a horizontal shutter than a multi-bladed vertical one as you can pop the blades out of the slots).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back