sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, it's more heron photos. What can I say? I've been going to work before it's light enough for pictures, and getting home after sunset...so the only time I've had to shoot is at lunchtime, and the waterfront is just so close, I can't resist.

Anyway--some more herons. Well, really the same two herons on different days.

1. Catching a fish again--the heron and I seem to take our lunch break at the same time. :D

2. NO C&C necessary on this one! Crummy picture, but just posted to show what I'm dealing with. The heron likes to get in these areas with a lot of vegetation between me and it before it goes fishing.

3. Striking a Pose:

4. Showing off its Dance Moves:

5. Striking a Pose, Take 2: It was an especially windy day, and I kinda like how its long hairs on its head are flying around in the wind

I also finally got a more complete series of photos of it fishing, on my flickr page, if anyone is interested.

C&C, general comments and witty banter appreciated as always!

I love love love #3.

Nothing wrong with Herons, I love to see them. They aren't the easiest thing to shoot since they are normally quite shy.

I prefer #4 since it shows one in a more unique pose.

Sharon, don't stop posting - I really enjoy seeing what you're doing with these. We've got herons around here too (well, not now as our water is very hard at the moment), and I fully appreciate the effort you've taken to get close to them - the closest I've been able to get was about 200-300 ft. before they get uncomfortable and fly off. The only time I was able to get closer was when one of them flew in close (city park) but the images I got of him/her were't great because I think I got the punk heron - feathers sticking up all over the place. Nothing like most herons who look smooth and almost coiffed.

#4 looks like the famous pose in the "Karate Kid". :lol:

Thanks all! #4 is one of my favorites as well, because it's unusual. Although, I do really like #3 because of the way you can see its feet under the water. Plus, it just looked like it was posing for me. It was actually hunting for fish, but I can imagine. :D

I got a couple of pictures of it with a REALLY unusual pose, but I don't think any of them are keepers. It was evidently stretching its legs, after having done the "one leg" stance for quite some time. It would stretch out one wing, and stretch the leg on the same side way out with the wing. Then it would switch to the other side. Unfortunately, it was on the blue fabric roof of a boat when it was doing it, AND there was a big black pole that was right in front of it. But now, I'll keep an eye out for it to do that again.

Sharon, don't stop posting - I really enjoy seeing what you're doing with these. We've got herons around here too (well, not now as our water is very hard at the moment), and I fully appreciate the effort you've taken to get close to them - the closest I've been able to get was about 200-300 ft. before they get uncomfortable and fly off. The only time I was able to get closer was when one of them flew in close (city park) but the images I got of him/her were't great because I think I got the punk heron - feathers sticking up all over the place. Nothing like most herons who look smooth and almost coiffed.

#4 looks like the famous pose in the "Karate Kid". :lol:

I love that so much I renamed it from the Dancing Heron, to Karate Heron. :D

Haha...I saw Karate Kid, too!!

wow, amazing shots! Such beautiful colors & details...very nice!

Most reactions

Back