Yikes!!

Lisablueeyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm a newbie to the DSLR world... Hubby gave me an early xmas gift, Canon T3I!! I have been reading and searching the websites... And now even dreaming of it in my sleep! Oh boy... I had a dream last night on "depth of field" I was trying to understand it, blah blah.... So if someone would like to share some tips and tricks on this that would be fantastic!!:hail:

Thanks

Last edited:
Try playing around with some DOF software or an app.

Shallower depth of field is created by using:

1) lower focal ratios (lower f-stop values)
2) longer focal lengths (long telephoto lenses which have a "compression" effect)
3) placing the subject closer

If you reverse these (higher f-stops, use wide lenses, or place the subject farther away then the depth of field is increased.)

Line up some object... a series of bottles or cans, or find a picket fence, etc. and place the bottles or cans about a foot apart each (or even 2 feet apart if you want to make them stretch farther). Go stand at one end of the row, focus on the middle object, and take a few shots. Shoot a few with the lowest focal ratio your lens offers (e.g. if you have a 50mm f/1.8 lens then use f/1.8, then take a few shots at increasingly higher f-stops. As you compare the shots you'll see that the in the original shot probably only the bottle you focused on will be sharp... the rest will be soft. Each time you increase the f-stop you'll notice that more of the bottles and cans are focused.

f-stop is the most common way to control depth of field, but you'll find that changing the focal length also has a similar effect.

Shallower depth of field is created by using:

1) lower focal ratios (lower f-stop values)
2) longer focal lengths (long telephoto lenses which have a "compression" effect)
3) placing the subject closer

If you reverse these (higher f-stops, use wide lenses, or place the subject farther away then the depth of field is increased.)

Line up some object... a series of bottles or cans, or find a picket fence, etc. and place the bottles or cans about a foot apart each (or even 2 feet apart if you want to make them stretch farther). Go stand at one end of the row, focus on the middle object, and take a few shots. Shoot a few with the lowest focal ratio your lens offers (e.g. if you have a 50mm f/1.8 lens then use f/1.8, then take a few shots at increasingly higher f-stops. As you compare the shots you'll see that the in the original shot probably only the bottle you focused on will be sharp... the rest will be soft. Each time you increase the f-stop you'll notice that more of the bottles and cans are focused.

f-stop is the most common way to control depth of field, but you'll find that changing the focal length also has a similar effect.

Thanks a million!

I find that these charts help to understand what the various settings are doing in terms of DOF.
DOF%20x%203.jpg

But really, start with the basics of 'Exposure'. Learn about aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Learning about those will naturally lead to learning about DOF and other things that you'll want to know.

Congratulations!
Here is a little exercise to play with depth of field and aperture.

Place a bottle, jar, glass or cup at the far end of the dining room table. Place another 50 cm to 60 cm from the near end, and a third in between them. If you are not comfortable with manual settings, use Av mode so you can set the aperture and let the camera decide on shutter speed. It might be best to place the camera on the nearest end of the table, unless you have a tripod. Line the objects up so you can see all three in the viewfinder.

Focus on the object in the middle, and take a shot at your widest aperture (lowest f number), your smallest aperture (highest f number) and one at f/8 or f/11.

Thanks for all the information!! I just recieved my T3I for dummies book on Tuesday ( So I hope this will help)... woohoo I can't wait for the weekend to start playing around with my Camera.. And the joy I will have when I add lenses...

Where did you find the book?
Thanks for all the information!! I just recieved my T3I for dummies book on Tuesday ( So I hope this will help)... woohoo I can't wait for the weekend to start playing around with my Camera.. And the joy I will have when I add lenses...

I have a T3i it is cool. THe other I had was the T3 but with this I have the flop around LCD screen which helps alot shooting outide an do not using the viewfinder (mostly I like the viewfinder over the screen). Plus it has higher ISO if needed and extra stuff the other did not have .... have fun it is a really cool camera.

hi mike , new to tpf... tried to copy photo... can't ...these are great..where can i get copy? thanks,
bob

hi mike , new to tpf... tried to copy photo... can't ...these are great..where can i get copy? thanks,
bob

Hi Bob. Welcome to TPF.
What did you try to do ?
Maybe you should make your first post in "Welcomes And Introductions":
Welcomes and Introductions
to let know everybody that you here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back