Yosemite suggestions

bdk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some help! I am really just a beginner--with apparently a pretty good camera (gift of Canon 5D Mark II with IS lenses, cable release, Manfroto tripod, filters, etc)--and am traveling to Yosemite next week. Any suggestions as to "Rules of Thumb" for Manual settings related to aperture; ISO; where to focus when shooting big landscape--when shooting during the twilight times. I just want to come back with some decent pictures.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
[h=1][/h]

Check out the Apple App Store. There you can download an app called "The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite." It's free or almost free and has advice on camera settings and locations along with maps and directions. If this is too much to absorb in a short time, set your Canon 5DMKII on Auto. By doing so, I'm betting you'll get some great pictures if you have an eye for composition. There'll be plenty of time later to learn more about your camera.

Don't go above ISO 800, set it to Aperture Control and don't shoot a bigger aperture than f/8... better yet f/11 or f/16. The bigger the number is, the smaller the aperture is, the more depth of field you have, which is a good thing for landscapes... You want the rocks in front and the mountain in the distance both to be in focus. The tighter the aperture, the longer the exposure will need to be... so a tripod is a must.

...but just have fun, see the place, and buy a good photobook. Take pics of your friends and family instead. Don't bum yourself out if the photography is not rocking right away, many landscape shooters have 20+ yrs of experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back