You Guys Intimidate Me: Another Wedding Topic

You'll want to stay clear of bridezillas. From backwash.com - “Bridezillas are fairly easy to spot. They are usually clad in white, and wearing some sort of ring on their left hand. Their voices are either guttural growls or high, piercing shrieks and their language is usually laced with an interesting combination of profanity. They are usually seen approaching their prey (i.e. someone who has pissed them off) in a quick stride. Their eyes are the eyes of Death itself. They are usually armed with long, yet very well groomed nails, and a bouquet of flowers that can be considered a weapon in a court of law.”

Good luck!

You must know my wife?

I don't do weddings

but.................

no matter what I do, I have a signed agreement with the person or organization that includes a long limitations of liability.

...Is there room in photography where something is better than nothing?
Absolutely! I'm one of the very vocal "Don't tackle weddings if you don't know what you're doing" members here, BUT, I also recognize that there are many people out there who cannot affort $5000, $2000, or even $500 for wedding photography, and if you want to shoot those to gain experience and help the couple, that's great, BUT.. a word or two of caution in your shell-like ear: PROTECT yourself. Draft up a contract and have it reviewed by a competent lawyer. Even though you may be doing it for nothing, ensure that you have a signed document which states clearly that you are NOT a professional, and that you are doing this ONLY to help the bride and groom and what you give them is what they get and that's ALL they get. No promises, no guarentees, etc, etc... You only have to search about two seconds on line to find thousands of 'bridezilla vs. photographer' stories (and by stories, I usually mean lawsuits). You will find that in almost all the cases where it went the photographer's way, he had a professionally drafted contract.

As far as second-shooting, don't e-mail, don't text, don't telephone (except to ask for an appointment), TALK FACE TO FACE! Go around, knock on doors, visit other photographers, don't be afraid to start off as an intern (Read: gear schlepper, floor-sweeper and lens cleaner). If I were to hire a second/assistant, there's ZERO chance that I would from an e-mail, but if you take the trouble to visit me, show me a portfolio, and explain what you want to do, there's a MUCH better chance...

This^^

Pro-bono is a good way to build up a portfolio and eventually get your foot in the door but protect your self!

OP...if they are poor and can't afford a pro why NOT you? They wont get anything otherwise. Tell them your story and not to expect much. If you produce they will be thrilled! If not, they would have got nothing anyway. But in the digital age how can you fail at offering something? Chimp all the way!

Otay, I got a contract drafted up pretty inexpensively thank you for the advice to protect myself. Hey if you're a virgin its best to wear a condom. The wedding will be on the 23rd. It's either gonna go terribly right or terribly wrong, but either way I will update.

Hey if you're a virgin its best to wear a condom.
Because experienced people know how to tell if their partner is lying! :lol:

Good luck.
Have fun, get experience, and get comfortable.

If you have skills, sometimes getting the jitters out and being calm will help your work.

I got a contract drafted up pretty inexpensively thank you for the advice to protect myself.

You should use what time is available to get ready.

Go visit the venue. Ask questions.
Make a list of important photographs to take.
Talk with the bride and groom to get input.
Beg, borrow, or rent whatever equipment that you think you need.
Practice with said equipment.
Practice some more.
Check over your equipment the night before, like charge your batteries, etc.
Arrive early, do not drink, do not eat, and do not leave until everyone (bride, bride's parents, bride's grandparents, etc.) has given you their blessing.
Spend only a little time in post until you have a review meeting to see what pictures need more work. Don't show them ANY discards.
Print the ones they like, archive the ones they didn't like. They will like them next year.

Good luck!

You might try searching for a Facebook page comprised of the photographers who live in your area. I am from Nebraska, and there are several pages (Nebraska Wedding Photographers, Nebraska Portrait Photographers, etc.) People are always posting that they need a second shooter and usually they are paid. It's a great way to learn, and also to build your portfolio. From there it's a matter of conveying to your prospective clients exactly what they can expect from you. Gotta have a contract!

Most reactions

Back