Your Favourite focal length for Portraits? Name yours.

Nikon_Josh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What does everyone like to shoot portraits with?

I mainly use my 50mm (75mm equiv) on my D90 for 99% of portraits, but recently I have started to wonder if I'd be better served by using alonger focal length i.e 85mm. Due to the great subject isolation you get, but at 135mm you are always going to back up a hell of alot.

Interested to hear your beliefs on focal lengths for portraits.

I have a 50mm lens and I used it for taking photo of my family when we were outdoor. But later on, I like the result better when I used my telephoto zoom lens (the EF 70-300mm IS USM lens). So I bought the 85mm prime. Now for outdoor, I will use the 85mm f/1.8 or the 70-200 f/4 lens. If there is enough room, I prefer 200mm. Just like the way the background render with the smaller angle of view and less perspective distortion.

My favorite was 200 mm, because the magnification also magnifies a blurred background which makes it seem even blurrier than the same background shot with a shorter focal length.

OK guys! Interesting stuff, you are now doing something dangerous though. You are making me think I may be better off selling my Sigma 50 1.4 and buying an 85 1.4 which is in effect a 127mm equivalent. I get a bit frustrated that the 50 1.4 when used for full body shots can not really provide much subject seperation whereas an 85mm lens would solve this issue. I also find I get a bit too close when doing headshots with the 50mm lens causing distortion..

So you guys don't find using focal lengths of around the 135mm to the 200mm mark a hinderance in terms of backing up?

Half of me wonders if an 85mm lens will get me better results than I have currently been getting, the Sigma 50 1.4 is simply fantastic. But the 85 1.4 will be even better I'm sure. But I guess the big issue for me is still the idea I may find I am constantly having to back up all the time.

85mm is a great focal length for me. I shoot probably 70% of portraits with that lens.

I have a REALLY SMALL indoor portrait "studio" in my basement--too small in fact for most purposes, and I also have a D90. Based on the lenses I own, I am "forced" to use my 18-200mm lens so I can get enough of the person in the image. Otherwise, I don't have enough room to back up. Sucks.

85mm is a great focal length for me. I shoot probably 70% of portraits with that lens.

I'm the same. My 85mm f/1.8D Nikkor lens is great for portraits and is used for about 75% of my portraits

Is that on your crop body aswell?

I have just thought perhaps I need to start testing out my Tamron 90 Macro for portraits. Will 2.8 be enough though to blow the background to oblivion? I know the longer the lens the more bokeh, I do love that look bokehlicious look if I can get it.

Keith stated the relationship between focal length and background blur correctly earlier in the thread. f/2.8 should be fine for portraiture...I don't know about oblivion, but provided you're at head shot camera-to-subject range, having a longish subject-to-background distance should help you achieve the look you're after with that lens on that camera.

Ever shot at 135mm just out of interest, Tyler?

No, but I am eyeing the 135/2L as we speak. I would really like to have that lens. The versatility of the 85 is where it pays off. Not too short, not too long for portraiture (on a full frame), even indoors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back