"Your Mission Benny, Should You Decide To Accept It......"

Oh come on this is a misson, McGuiver could make an atom bomb out of an ink pen and a match, I gotta be able to do something here.....
Mission Impossible Theme(full theme) - YouTube

What we are trying to tell you about those lights.. is that they are USELESS. Did you do the math on that lighting equation I gave you... 300 watts per light per second. Shoot at 1/100 of a second... how much light do you get in 1/100 of a second? 3 watts! Set them up in the house.. before you go, and try and get some shots. Hope you have a subject that does not move.. and that you have a tripod... you are going to need it!

Watts are a unit of power. What you mean is "300 watt lights spit out 300 watt-seconds of energy per second (well, actually, I think they CONSUME it -- what they emit is less than that), so in 1/100th of a second you only get 3 watt-seconds of power"

Then you need to have some notion of whether a watt-second is a lot of light or a little light. The answer, as you have correctly noted, is "no, it is not".

Watts are a unit of power. What you mean is "300 watt lights spit out 300 watt-seconds of energy per second (well, actually, I think they CONSUME it -- what they emit is less than that), so in 1/100th of a second you only get 3 watt-seconds of power"

Then you need to have some notion of whether a watt-second is a lot of light or a little light. The answer, as you have correctly noted, is "no, it is not".

Trying to keep it very simple! ;) Just to make it easier to understand.... without an understanding of the actual correct terminology or the physics behind it.

But yea... not much light!

For a few bucks you could buy a hot-shoe to sync cord adapter, a sync cord of some moderate length, and a sync cord to hot-shoe adapter. Probably cost you < $50. Then you can shove your sb-400 into one of the umbrellas, off the camera, as a key light. Try to fill either with your reflectors or the constant lights.

For a few bucks you could buy a hot-shoe to sync cord adapter, a sync cord of some moderate length, and a sync cord to hot-shoe adapter. Probably cost you < $50. Then you can shove your sb-400 into one of the umbrellas, off the camera, as a key light. Try to fill either with your reflectors or the constant lights.

Even cheaper (and better???) wireless triggers!

Amazon.com: Yongnuo RF-603 N3 2.4GHz Wireless Flash Trigger/Wireless Shutter Release Transceiver Kit for Nikon D90/D3100/D5000/D7000: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

You crazy kids and your new-fangled "raydyo". GET OFF MY LAWN.

Do you stick one on the camera's hot shoe, and the flash into the other one?

Yep! Dats how you do it, gramps! I prefer my pocket wizards, but figured these would be good for Benny to start with...

I may start calling you "Mr. Wilson"! Get the reference? ;)

Thank You Amolitor and others, I just got permission to shoot this old shack and will be there at dusk today trying to work it out!

The short of it is: Your weak little SB400 is going to give you more light than that whole kit combined for photography. Either order a sync cord and adapter or a trigger/receiver and use that with your SB400 off camera. Shoot raw. Shoot multiple exposures at one time (HDR).

Better yet: Sell or return those lights and order another flash. I'd recommend the YN-565EX II for Nikon. If that's more than you spent/get for the lights the YN-560 for Nikon is about $50 or so.

Shoot at dusk, OCF to camera left. You got this right?

Also if you shoot just a bit earlier then this lady did you will get a better blend of the flash into the ambient lighting instead of being so obvious with the flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back