Youth football

This seems to be an issue with a lot of football codes. Where I live Australian Rules Football is the most popular sport by far. In some other states it's Rugby.

Lots of concerns in relation to brain injuries due to high impact collisions. Also there is no helmets or padding worn by the players.

One of the reasons soccer is becoming more popular I think.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This seems to be an issue with a lot of football codes. Where I live Australian Rules Football is the most popular sport by far. In some other states it's Rugby.

Lots of concerns in relation to brain injuries due to high impact collisions. Also there is no helmets or padding worn by the players.

The injuries and concussions are still very real in soccer as well. Maybe worse because the "header" is so practiced and that's with no helmet.

Don't get me wrong I love Aussie Rules Football and played it from from the age of 12 until 27. I would still encourage boys and girls to take it up.

I think that people just need to be aware that there is a risk. Not sure if I agree with you about the soccer header thing but would be like to see the statistics.

The injuries and concussions are still very real in soccer as well. Maybe worse because the "header" is so practiced and that's with no helmet.

I've got a few shots of that header, where the player hits the falling ball with his head. On a few of the shots, I can see a GRIMACE on the face, like it hurt. So there must be a hard impact to the head.

I've got a few shots of that header, where the player hits the falling ball with his head. On a few of the shots, I can see a GRIMACE on the face, like it hurt. So there must be a hard impact to the head.
I stand corrected. Not having played soccer didn't realise the header was that hard. I was thinking more of when you get an accidental head hit when crunched in a tackle or driven into the ground head first.

Soccer heading -- not collisions -- cognitively impairs players

I stand corrected. Not having played soccer didn't realise the header was that hard. I was thinking more of when you get an accidental head hit when crunched in a tackle or driven into the ground head first.

Soccer heading -- not collisions -- cognitively impairs players

I don't really know how hard the impact is, as I don't play soccer, just shoot it.

As a rec league softball coach, I had to complete a concussion protocol course online. I was surprised to read that the sports with the highest concussion rate for girls are 1-soccer, 2-lacrosse and 3-basketball. Boys was 1-football, 2-ice hockey and 3-soccer. My daughter has a classmate who plays lacrosse and soccer. She is 15 and has already had 6 concussions.

As a rec league softball coach, I had to complete a concussion protocol course online. I was surprised to read that the sports with the highest concussion rate for girls are 1-soccer, 2-lacrosse and 3-basketball. Boys was 1-football, 2-ice hockey and 3-soccer. My daughter has a classmate who plays lacrosse and soccer. She is 15 and has already had 6 concussions.

Girls lacrosse and basketball ???
I've seen the boys get physical, but not the girls.
But that is just at my school, and your stats are probably nation-wide.

Girls lacrosse and basketball ???
I've seen the boys get physical, but not the girls.
But that is just at my school, and your stats are probably nation-wide.

I would think a lot of the concussions are unintended contact when two kids collide at high speed in soccer or lacrosse. In basketball the elbows fly whether it's boys or girls playing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back