Yup, I shot a wedding.

myko5

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just to start things off, I really would have preferred to not shoot this wedding. My sister had minimal budget for her wedding, and his aunt was going to be the photog. She is not a pro, just a hobbyist with a D90 and a 70-300 kit lens. I knew I had better gear and knowledge to help my sister out. (I realized quickly in the day his aunt was shooting on full auto with her pop-up flash.)
I do not claim this pictures to be professional level, but I tried my hardest to preserve her memories of the day. So with the backstory summarized, here are a few of my favorite from the day. Keep in mind I only have PSE8 on an uncalibrated laptop.

I welcome all C&C as I would like to improve my skills. I used my D90 and and sigma lenses and SB-600 (on camera bounced). Outside photos were shot mid day with some harsh sun.

1. $_DSC6156.jpg

2.$_DSC6478.jpg

3.$_DSC6725.jpg
4.$_DSC6183.jpg

5.$_DSC6219.jpg

6.$_DSC6257.jpg

7.$_DSC6385.jpg

8.$_DSC6394.jpg

And just for fun....
9.$_DSC6498a.jpg

I love 4 & 5. I'm sure your sister will cherish the photos you took forever!! It's great that you were there to take photos of her special day.

I love the girl's expression in #7. She's looking at you like she doesn't quite trust you to get her good side.

watch that WB and soe look a little dark. remember white is white

Which ones look like the WB is off? All? I do have them all in raw so it can be adjusted. The dress looks white on my computer, but its a crap screen so I realize it can be wrong. As for the ones that look a little dark, its probably overcompestaion on the levels because I was told before that my pictures all looked too bright.

#1 - I like this shot but it bugs me that the door on the right is just a "little too open". I'm OCD so the symmetry being off bugs me.
#4 - I like this but wish it wasn't cropped as tight.
#5 - Really Like
#6 - Like
#8 - Wish this wasn't cropped as tight
#9 - Wish she was looking at the camera

All-in-all these are good pictures. There really is no glaring problem with them and I'm sure they are better than whatever the aunt did.

i agree no. 7 is a great shot...captured the moment. you did your sister a big favor!

I agree with @SoCalTiger's comment. This may not be the work of a professional, but I know that you are half way there. I like the idea of helping your sis on her wedding.:thumbup:

I had an issue with people not looking at me when I took the pictures. His aunt was also snapping away near me, and they were looking back and forth between us. SoCal, as for your OCD, its not a bad thing. I think the door would have been better closed a little more. I closed them just to get the messy room behind the dress out of the shot. It's these little details when taking the picture that I need to work on.

As for the tight crops, I guess thats just been my style. Not saying its a good thing, but its from me taking pictures of my kids. I have been used to trying to fill the frame right up with them. I did make a "note to self" when I was going through all the pictures that I need to loosen up on the zoom when doing an event like this.

Here is a shot from the wedding I love, but didn't get one with all of them looking at me. I have 4 of these, with all of them looking in different directions.

10.$_DSC6858.jpg

that last one had the potential to be quite good if they were all looking at it. It is too bad the aunt was right there taking pics as well. I more than likely would have asked her to back off and let you do your thing.

I helped shoot a wedding last summer and we had to ask the aunt of the groom to back off as she was completely distracting everyone in the pictures. It is hard!

Yea I agree the shot would have been great ( in my eyes anyways) if they were all looking at me. I was technically just a second shooter as the aunt was originally asked after I declined the offer to be the photog. I was hoping they would hire a pro but it just wasn't in the budget. So telling the aunt to eff off wouldn't have really been my place. I actually suggested to go to the local park, which offered more for pictures the outside the hotel it was held at.

All in all I took a bit with me from the whole experience. I actually enjoyed it. Especially seeing how grateful my sister was after his aunt handed her a non edited photo album via Walgreens with only twelve or thirteen shots from the night.

DiskoJoe said:
What is she looking at? Bad shot yo. Control the shoot! and get some flash. Some of the shots from above she has rather dark rings around her eyes and is raccooning!

She is looking at the other "photog". And yes point taken on the fill flash.

Most reactions

Back