Zeiss 21 f/2.8: which polarizer + uv filter?

Niels123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just purchased a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 and I need a UV filter and a polarizer filter (82mm). B+W is expensive and Hoya HD is a lot cheaper.

-Which (slim) filters do not vignette on this lens?
-Is it true that the quality difference between two polarizer filters is more clearly visible on wide angle lenses compared to "normal" (e.g. >50mm) lenses?
-What would you recommend? How would Hoya HD polarizer compare to a B+W XS-Pro on this Zeiss lens?
-Are there other options?
-Not sure if true, but I heard that even the B+W XS-pro vignettes on this lens and I heard somebody to use a step-up adapter to 86mm and a 86mm B+W XS-pro filter with adapted (105mm?) lens hood? Any comments on this?

Thanx!
Niels

I don't have and never tried a Zeiss lens due to their high cost. But wouldn't you want a good filter in front of it versus a cheaper one? I've only bought B+W or Heliopan.

The slimlines are designed to be used on Wide Angle lenses to minimize vignetting. But I don't know how little or no vignetting you'll get with that lens. Anything that sticks out away from a lens will create this issue. The simpliest way to eliminate most vignetting is to get a square filter and manually hold it in front of the lens as this eliminates "depth" to the filter but it's harder to keep totally flat.

If you really want to calculate this before hand then use a ruler to the side of the lens.Take a shot and determine the height in front of the lens that you have available before there is any interference from anything that you put in front of the lens. It's easier said than done though as you have to put it outside of the minimum focus distance, determine the angle (which is usually stated in the specs) but understand how it related to the glass vs outer lens part to the ruler at some distance. Then you can see how much "height" away from the lens you have which is the max height you want a filter to be. If any of that makes any sense.

Polarization on an ultrawide won't really be even across the frame if you're using a circular polarizer. You would want a more expensive square polarizer, not nearly as portable though. A circular polarizer would still work though, but it could depend on what you want out of it.

UV filter... not sure why anyone would pair a Zeiss lens with a UV filter.

Polarization on an ultrawide won't really be even across the frame if you're using a circular polarizer. You would want a more expensive square polarizer, not nearly as portable though. A circular polarizer would still work though, but it could depend on what you want out of it.

UV filter... not sure why anyone would pair a Zeiss lens with a UV filter.
The shape of the filter is not going to affect the evenness of the polarizing effect across the frame. An ultra-wide angle lens such as the 21mm is going to produce uneven polarization effects across the frame regardless of whether the filter you use is square or circular.
As for the UV filter, it may be of some dubious use as a lens protector but its not needed to filter out UV, in a digital camera sensor and lens already filter out UV for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back