Zoo pictures

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm going to the San Diego Zoo in a few weeks. Any tips on photographing the animals? Equipment to bring? What is the best film to use? Are these legitimate questions or is it just like photographing anything else? I will bring my patience and probably my digital camera for my husband to use in case none of my pictures turn out. =)

Scale the ASA rating of your film to the weather, tending towards faster film. If it's going to be outdoors and very sunny then use 100/200 ASA. If it's a bit grey or overcast use 400 ASA, if it's winter nasty, use 1000 ASA.

You shouldn't use flash, and it's probably banned anyway, so I'd recommend 400+ ASA to be on the safe side. T-Max 3200 B&W is great for the reptile house and indoor features.

If there's mesh or glass between you and the animal, switch to manual focus to avoid the auto-focus choosing the glass/mesh instead of the animal.

Chat to and befriend the zoo staff and ask them about how to get a good shot - some of them might like to have a copy of a picture in return for letting you round the back at feeding time. Find out feeding / cleaning time and ask the staff when the best opportunities will be - maybe phone the zoo before you go to ask about photography tips.

Good luck and post your results for us to have a look!

Rob

Thanks for the suggestions. That's a good idea to chat with the staff. Hopefully I'll have some good pics to post!

Most reactions

Back