Zoom lens

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,
Wish to buy a good zoom lens primarily for some bird photographs.
Choices in UAE are
(1) 100-400 Canon (IS) $1950
(2) 80-400 Sigma (OS) $1000
Well, I am a hobbyist, use camera on weekends for recreation.
Considering the price differiencial I am inclined to buy Sigma (also I hate that white Canon colour!)
Will Sigma be significantly (visibly) inferior to Canon ?
Out here there is no market for lens on rent or resale. So I will be married to the lens till I break it.
Thanks in advance
Ketan

I wouldn't consider the Sigma inferior. I'd consider it to be a lens that costs $1000 less than the Canon. However, it sounds as if you've made the choice (don't like the white Canon, don't want to spend the extra money). Go with your gut. The Sigma is a good lens. and $2000 for a weekend hobby is a lot of cash. However, if you're going to married to the lens until it breaks I would say the Canon has a better build quality.

You can Google reviews and tests for both lenses if you are looking for more technical data, or you can look through previous threads here for more information.

You can also check some online dealers for used gear, ebay and this site's marketplace.

If it's easy to get Sigma lenses serviced in the UAE then I'd consider it. Otherwise I'd get the Canon.

Mav,
What is lens 'serviced'?
I am also planning to buy canon 70-200 f/4.
If I buy 100-400, can I do away with 70-200, of course compromising bit on apperture?
ketan

serviced= getting it fixed if something goes wrong with it

Well, Sigma servicing should not be a problem.
ketan

Right now I have the oppurtunity to buy a used (great condition) Sigma 80-400 OS for 500$ from my dad's friend at work. He already brought it home for me to try, it works well. I think we will end up buying it too.

I have no experience with other big zoom lenses however.

I need some advise on my second question that "If I buy 100-400, can I avoid with buying 70-200 f/4, of course compromising bit on apperture?"

Both lenses are excellent choices. Many nature photogs I know love the 100-400. I also considered it, but went with the 70-200 f/4 & f/2.8 and 300 f/4 for its better image quality. With the 1.4X it is 280mm & 420mm respectively. Still a bit short, but IQ is unsurpassed. You are pretty much comparing apples to apples in the L line. My opinion is that the 100-400 is a bit soft at 400 f/5.6 as is the 300f/4 & TC. Really do need to stop them down to 7.1 or 8 to get sharp images. See if you can try it out and see how you feel.

Most reactions

Back