Zoom Lens

jacksonfinter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the market for a zoom lens, dont want to spend heaps of money because im just a n00b...

Considering three lenses atm,

Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III
Sigma Macro 28-300mm F3.5-6.3
Canon 90-300mm USM f4.5-5.6...

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Have heard that the sigma becomes really soft anywhere past 200mm..?

I would be hesetant at approaching the sigma - only because its covering a very large apature range and is a budget lens - thus there is a strong chance that it might be sufferent at the extremities. Also as a user of the sigma 70-300mm macro I find this lens also suffers from softness at 300mm and is in a simlar price range.
Sigma do make some very good lenses in the upper price ranges, but thier budget lenses, whilst offering a good range of options are not in the same class - one think I would say is that a long range macro does let you have a play with longer focal lengths and with some basic macro (its not real macro as you can't get to 1:1 ratio but its good enough) as well so it can be a good choice for finding where your interests lie
As an aside I have found the 70-300mm. with such a long focal length does work very well as a macro for flowers giving great blurred backgrounds

As a final point never think that jsut because you are new that you should stick to cheaper lenses - good lenses are the best thing to invest in for photography - they are a key part of getting a good shot after the skills of the user. Though often I would say playing around with a budget lens can show you where you want to focus your spending on

The Canon 70-300 F4.5 - 5.6 IS USM is a very nice lens and capable of very sharp photos some have referred to it as an undressed "L".
My only con with this lens is it is a fairly slow one. I like it when weight is an issue and I want to "go light".

You might wanna check out the Tamron 70-300 DI LD.

I second a look at the Tamron 70-300 Di LD if you are not looking to spend a lot. I picked mine up from B&H for $150. It gets decent shots. I took this one with it:

DSC_1937.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back