Zuiko Lenses on Nikon F5 - which adapter

wobe

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All, I'm looking to purchase what looks like a mint and feature complete (data back etc) Nikon F5 over the weekend.
It will come with both a 50mm and a 17-35mm Nikkor lenses but I would like to understand my options for being able to use my existing Zuiko lenses on here (55mm prime and 35-105mm zoom).

I'm having a really hard time getting this info online, it looks like there are adapters but they may only be for specific lenses, however it is not clear to me at all which lenses are covered...

I understand I will certainly not be able to use the auto focus with a manual lens (of course) and also that the F5 does not support matrix metering with a manual lens also but this is Ok with me.

If anyone has knowledge/experience fitting Zuiko lenses to Nikon (F5) cameras I would really appreciate your input.

There is a mention of a physical part of some Olympus lenses that would prevent it's use.

Many thanks ac12 - will check that out.

Hi All, I'm looking to purchase what looks like a mint and feature complete (data back etc) Nikon F5 over the weekend.
It will come with both a 50mm and a 17-35mm Nikkor lenses but I would like to understand my options for being able to use my existing Zuiko lenses on here (55mm prime and 35-105mm zoom).

I'm having a really hard time getting this info online, it looks like there are adapters but they may only be for specific lenses, however it is not clear to me at all which lenses are covered...

I understand I will certainly not be able to use the auto focus with a manual lens (of course) and also that the F5 does not support matrix metering with a manual lens also but this is Ok with me.

If anyone has knowledge/experience fitting Zuiko lenses to Nikon (F5) cameras I would really appreciate your input.
Here's one for OM to Nikon F mount: FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Olympus OM Lens to Nikon F Mount Camera:
Note that it has a 1.4X correction lens to allow infinity focus, which will impact image quality to some extent. How much of an impact depends on the film, lens, subject, and what you can tolerate. My experience is that FotodioX adapters are pretty good. You can also remove the glass and have a short extension tube for closeups with no impact on image quality.
Whoops! I didn't notice that ac12 posted the same adapter. I apologize.

Last edited:
Here's one for OM to Nikon F mount: FotodioX Pro Lens Mount Adapter for Olympus OM Lens to Nikon F Mount Camera:
Note that it has a 1.4X correction lens to allow infinity focus, which will impact image quality to some extent. How much of an impact depends on the film, lens, subject, and what you can tolerate. My experience is that FotodioX adapters are pretty good. You can also remove the glass and have a short extension tube for closeups with no impact on image quality.
Whoops! I didn't notice that ac12 posted the same adapter. I apologize.
Thanks for the info - I am a complete newbie when it comes to adapters and correction lenses etc so this is useful for me to further research.

Nikon DSLRs are about the worst possible cameras to adapt other lenses too. They have a very long rear focal distance so that adapted lenses for nearly all mounts can't focus to infinity without additional optics.
Long focal lengths will be least effected by this issue.

If your interest is in macro or close up shooting you can make do with an adapter without optics, but if you want to focus beyond a few feet you'll need an adapter with optics. I've heard many of these have very poor quality optics, the better brands might be OK but for the price of these adapters you can buy a good used mirrorless body that will be much better at adapting. There are now respectable mirrorless models selling for under £100!

Nikon DSLRs are about the worst possible cameras to adapt other lenses too. They have a very long rear focal distance so that adapted lenses for nearly all mounts can't focus to infinity without additional optics.
Long focal lengths will be least effected by this issue.

If your interest is in macro or close up shooting you can make do with an adapter without optics, but if you want to focus beyond a few feet you'll need an adapter with optics. I've heard many of these have very poor quality optics, the better brands might be OK but for the price of these adapters you can buy a good used mirrorless body that will be much better at adapting. There are now respectable mirrorless models selling for under £100!
Thanks - the F5 is a 35mm film camera not digital though maybe the focal characteristics are the same and valid?

Will probably experiment (and end up getting Nikkor lenses).
Can certainly understand how the corrective lena in an adapter has the potential to mess up the fine optics of the lens and camera.

Thanks - the F5 is a 35mm film camera not digital though maybe the focal characteristics are the same and valid?

Will probably experiment (and end up getting Nikkor lenses).
Can certainly understand how the corrective lena in an adapter has the potential to mess up the fine optics of the lens and camera.
Yes the mount characteristics are just the same.
There are some mounts designed to be adapted to a wide range of cameras, T2 & adaptall2 being the best known. Lens in these mounts can be adapted to your F5 but will be manual focus & probably have the aperture controlled by the lens only.

Struggling to understand why/how the Zuiko/Nikon thing even looked likely?

Frankly, using your Zuikos might be better on a MILC camera(your choice, brand-wise)with the appropriate adapter. No one really tried back in the day to shoot anything but Nikkors or F-mount off-brand glass on an F5.

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Seems it’s best avoided so will probably stick with lenses designed for the camera.

Struggling to understand why/how the Zuiko/Nikon thing even looked likely?

Frankly, using your Zuikos might be better on a MILC camera(your choice, brand-wise)with the appropriate adapter. No one really tried back in the day to shoot anything but Nikkors or F-mount off-brand glass on an F5.

I was thinking the very same thing, what is the point? With the seemingly endless supply of Nikkors available why go with another camera maker's lenses?

I was thinking the very same thing, what is the point? With the seemingly endless supply of Nikkors available why go with another camera maker's lenses?
To be honest it was more for experimentation - the adapters are cheap and I like the vintage look that (eg.) one of my old 55mm f1.2 Zuiko's give on the OM - it's not an expensive way to play around with lens combinations (and I'm not a pro photographer) and how this lens image would look when used with a 'modern' metering camera.

Having said all that I followed the advice here and cancelled the Fotodiox order deciding instead to keep Zuikos with OMs and Nikkors with Nikons..for now.

Most reactions

Back