10000 shots spent

i am going digital because the costs are just driving me mad. a full processing is about (+film cost and scanning) 10euros right. my salary is about 50euros a month. i am a student so that;s about all i can get part time around here... and you can see how the sheer cost of film is aching me. and my parents don't like it too much either :D

When photographing stars I do tend to use a few films! Probably even more now I'm processing them myself. But each good shot is usually compiled from several shots stacked together so 10 shots of Orion might make 1 photo.

I have about 25,000 on the 20d right now...

Like you, (at least in the beginning) most were wasted, just clicked for the sake of clicking. Now I have calmed down alot, and my keeper rate is almost 95%. I have learned ALOT over the past two years. I started out as your average college student with a camera, taking stupid pictures of absolutely nothing, now to getting paid to take photos.

Well, when I was 18, the world did not even know there once would be digital photography.............................................. And we also got by.

Corina not only did we get by, we got by very well. We got by without cable TV, CD's, DVD's, VIDEOTAPE!, remote controles, microwaves, digital clocks,and the internet, We got by with only three TV channels, and the TV off the air after the evening news. We got by with half the programing in B&W. We got by with hand held light meters and no program modes. We got by without any automation in our cameras at all. Gee, how did we live like that? Very well, very well indeed.

and when i'll be your age i'll probably be saying the same thing about all those old things, like remember the D70, wow what a kiddie camera that was, unlike the cameras today which fly above your head and take pictures by themselves :D

it's progress and it's good. to quote discovery channel:
If you think that all good things come to those who wait, where on earth would you be today...
:D

to the future! :cheers:

Yes, its progress. I can't help but think how many are starting photography today and missing out on all the fun we had "back in the day". I really believe the best foundation in this craft is built on manual cameras, hand held meters, and Dektol stains. But, I digress....

well, you are right. but the most important thing in photography still is here. the fun you have while taking the pictures, the spiritual journey with all the models you photograph, and the experience of recording a moment in time... it's trully amazing what photography offers you. it's like everybody looks at the world but only us see it...

automatic systems take a lot from the experience at first but after a while, you start overriding the automatic systems, you fiddle with the lenses and after yet some more time you return to the old konica 35mm with fixed shutter speed and 3 available apertures... and don't worry the old photography is not lost. it's just for less people.

and don't worry the old photography is not lost. it's just for less people.

You are right. I said in an earlier post that wet photography well only be for the elite, the well healed artist in a few decades. The one hour labs will only do dry digital, the single use cameras will all be digital. Film will be lost for the masses and available only to those who want a walk down memory lane.

and one more thing could happen: film could evolve... for all these decades film has evolved only slightly, bringing small details into the picture but nothing really amazing... i mean a film revolution would indeed be something, making film remain for the elites and/or for specific tasks and such. i mean i dunno smth like sunset film or some inimaginable feature that digital would fail to achieve... the future belongs to the digital and that is inevitable. everybody will, sooner or later go digital no matter what. but film will maybe stay there for at least a while. but it will vanish in time, unfortunatelly... as all great inventions have when greater ones appeared...

Film and buggy whips. As for film evolving, it would take a massive influx of research cash I believe, and the money is in digital. Oh well, a deep subject for the shallow mind.

I'm looking forward to digital evolving! Maybe something like the sensors using selective ISO to capture all available light in an image. Everything from the bright sun, to the darkest shadows, and being able to adjust everything to how you want it. The way digital works with pixels offers so much possibility. Wait... maybe they could make a giant single pixel sensor that mimics the way film works. See? There's so much possibility in digital!

Film has exsisted for around 200 years. If it hasn't evolved yet, I think it's pretty unlikely it will evolve now. Especially as jstuedle pointed out all the research money is going into digital now.

Ironically I learned to shoot in manual, and am only now learning how to use automatic. It's kind of hard to get it right! :lol:

I've taken about 1000 pics with my D70, and I have had it for a 4 and a half weeks!!!:lmao:

mercury my man you shoot quite little. i shoot 300+shots a day. what can i say the girls at university dig photos :D

and about digital well yes it's evolving. it'll go where no man can even imagine. trust me on that one. it will be such a resolution that zoom lenses will be superflous, colours will mimick human retina perception and all that will fit in the corner of your eye or maybe as a contact lens, huh? :D film will die soon but not yet, now it's still quite strong with so many pros still shooting film. it's still a trend. but it'll pass. in 10 years everybody will have pocket compacts like the t7 capable of doing so much more and a photolab in every home. and nobody will shoot film anymore except a few old people remebering the good days. it's sad but it's true i think. digital will win. like the otto engine over the steam engine...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back