120 film

takesomepie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Seagull TLR that shoots in medium format( 120 film) and I am wondering about processing. I will be processing B&W. Can you use the same equipment that is used for 35mm? I just need some help determining what products I will need.

Obviously you can use the same chemicals as the one you use for 35mm. The only difference will be the size of the reel on which you put the film. For 120 film the reel has to be larger. Some reels can be adjusted for different film sizes. Once you have a reel for 120 film, make sure it fits in your developping tank.

Also it is more difficult to load 120 film onto the reel compared to 35mm. It is a good idea to waste a roll of film and practice in daylight asnd then in the dark before starting with a proper film.

Tips:

When loading 120 film onto a reel, unroll the film [let it curl up into a cylinder] until you reach the tape holding the film to the backing paper. Cut the tape rather than peeling it from the film. The strip of tape remaining on the film stiffens the edge of the film and makes it easier to load it onto the reel. The tape will not affect development.

If you are using a 2-reel [or 4-reel] size metal tank for 35mm, all you will need is the 120 reel(s). It will fit the tank.

If you are using a 'Yankee' type tank, the reel is adjustable and can be changed to take 120 film.

Yes.. stainless steel. .go for the best! you will never regret it.

instead of cutting that edge off. The end where the tape is. I would merly fold it over.. thus giving it just a bit more stiffness and now I can get a good grip on it to shove it in.

yes you have to practice with a wasted roll of film. that's all it takes..

the more you practice.. the better you will get.

DON'T USE PLASTIC IF YOU CAN AVOID IT. -=THE TRAVELER KNOWS=-

HE is speaking from "EXPERIENCE" ! :mrgreen: ditto.. ! also.. stainless reacts quicker than plastic for temp adjustments. and in color processing this is critical. Read my long winded rant in Long Exposures.. !! your gonna be surprised.. but the BEST.. IS YET TO COME..

Kodak.. offered me.. ten million dollars.! 1975. ! true story !!

watch for it soon .on this site.. I sure hope this inspres some of you..

to think.. outside the box.!!

And in case you did not know If you print you will need a different lens for your enlarger.

HA HA HA.. I am so glad you mentioned THAT. don't make the mistake most people make.

I have done this so many many times. using two 11 x 14 color razor sharp prints.

When someone would come into our store.. DEE photo center, Kenniwick Wa 1979 (DEE = david eddie eddie) three electricans opened this store. Kodak was blown away! there is nothing like this in the whole country!

I want to purchase an enlarger lens.. ! good. I want the best one you have.. NO YOU DON'T. was always my answer.. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

I have (had) the proof right here. and I would place two identical 11 x 14 razor sharp images on the counter.

one of these images was made using a 480 dollar el-nikor enlarging lens

the other images was made usng a $25 dollar "beslar" enlarging lens.

ha ha ha ha ha ha.. people would spend 1/2 hour.. and they WOULD ALWAYS POINT TO THE $25 DOLLAR LENS PRINT.!!

in FACT: there was no difference.. both images looked identical in all aspects. YOU COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

save your money.. don't go out.. and buy an expensive one.. !

not just yet.. ha ha ha. later when you make big bucks.. GO AHEAD

go buy it.. and make the same exact test I did many times with many diffeent lenses.
"beslar" enlarging lenses are fantastik & awesome!

I have to admit. when I first ran this test. I was blown away at the results.

so I pass this bit of info on to you! go ahead and make the test yourself

we have done this too many times. but always using a beslar lens $25.00
in 1979! I doubt they have changed all that much in price.

then your going to say. "why.. ? did I spend all that money on this.. .. .. "name"!

I hate seeing people get "ripped" off, when they purchase something.

OUR busniess went down in Kennewick ONLLY BECASUE the whole area went on strike for 9 months. We closed and left. GOOD. my two partners were too lazy.!

so I flew back to Alaska to go to work as an electrican on the Trans alaska pipeline. while waiting for a job.

I got a job. at Stwarts Photo in Anchorage. I am now behind the counter as a husband and wife came into the store.. ha ha ha.!! this is so funny! MARRIED COUPLE: .. .. "we want to buy that enlarger. they ponted to a Besler 23C ! (that is what I have been using since 1970.) I said. NO YOU DON'T...they looked at me very wierd! ha ha

I said listen.. I WILL sell you that enlarger for the price marked on there. and you can go take it home AND JUST LOOK AT IT.... ... ... ... ... or.. ... ... "you can call up Hunts in Malden / Medford ma.

and you will get the same exact thing for $ 240 dollars, now with the money left over, you can purchase trays chemicals paper and now.. START TO BEGIN your darkroom experience.. ! they thought it over, and left the store.!! ha ha ha.. I just lost a 50 dollar commisson!

Hunts.. sells everything for 5% over cost! it is (used to be) the cheapest place in the country.

So if I have a 35mm enlarger all I will need to use 120 film is a new lens? and maybe a 120 film holder for the film? sorry i dunno the proper terminology. I'm just wondering what all I will need to actually be able to develop 120 black and white film. I will using my school's enlarger, so I guess I'll also have to purchase an enlarger lens. I'll look into the beslar.
Thanks.

Oh OH OH Oh.. SORRY.. if this enlarger is just for 35 mm only

you can't use 120 film in it

using 35 mm neg = 50mm enlarging lens

using 120 film = 75 -90 mm enlarging lens

Yes you need a negative carrier for the size format that your using that 120 = 70 mm for.
In other words.. 120 film fits many diffrent type format cameras

my suggestion. (based on how young you are) don't buy one. make one! certain words you used gave me the "clues"

usng 1 roll of 120 I can get 8,9,12,16, frames on a single roll. depending on which format that camera uses. ie. 6 x 4.5 6 x 6 6 x 9 whoops!! I forgot the best one

Six by seven!! = PERFECT FORMAT!

in other words.. however you fill that viewfinder from edge to edge to all four edges.. THAT is the way you can print it on any size sheet of paper!

take the time to think about that.... when you use 35 mm you gott cut off
side or edge to print it. same is true with HASSLEBLAD.. I was gonna buy one I was sold on all the hype..until I understood what prefect format meant.

Now.. your using the entire negative or slide. guess what.. you dont have to blow it up as much which means it is SHARPER!

NOW.. clarifcaton on the $25 lens vs $480

I used 11 x 14 prints for comparison.. BUT IF.. I HAD USED 40 X 60 inch prnts.. THEN.. it would have been apparent.. !

by the cheap-0 !

when you finally get your first request for one or two prints THAT size.

$480 is "chump change"!

why are you spamming?
he didnt ask about enlarger lenses...

I am looking at buying a Seagull TLR that shoots in medium format( 120 film) and I am wondering about processing. I will be processing B&W. Can you use the same equipment that is used for 35mm? I just need some help determining what products I will need.

It seems to me a discussion about enlarger lenses is totally appropriate for the question that was asked.

well aside for needing 120 reels to hold the film & developing tank if you have one.

and aside from needing a new negative carrier and lens for that enlarger

that is about all you will need to make the transistion

everything else is the same..

I think. but now I am all confused.!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back