18-55 kit upgrade to 18-35 1.8 sigma for studio shots f8?

efy shemer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello i got 1 question im a beginer
i got crop camera canon 100d and im shooting in a small studio costume photographs of full body and somtimes 3-4 persons (family) i use at the moment the kit lens 18-55 wich im happy with the range
should i upgrade to the sigma 18-35 f1.8
im shooting mosly at f8 would i see any difference (im using 4 strobes of 300w chinese brand and white backdrop (highkey)
plz help and keep up the good work

I can't comment on the relative image quality of each lens, but since you probably will not be shooting at a substantially different aperture anyway, I don't see any point in buying another lens with approximately the same range.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 will be much much better, even for shooting at f/8.
But why f/8 only? DOF? With the Sigma f/2 through f/4 will be great already.

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 will be much much better, even for shooting at f/8.
But why f/8 only? DOF? With the Sigma f/2 through f/4 will be great already.
i shoot high key photoes with blown white backround
and i just want to have more sharpness with 2-3 people mostly kids moving on the set
so i use high f stop to get sharper images
i just dont know if i will get beter image results with the sigma i saw at dxdiag that i get much more "conseptual megapixels " with the sigma then the kit lens but i dont know in a studio environment if it will realy give me beter resaults

Got it.
The sigma will be sharper.
Try to visit a store and test it yourself before a purchase.

So long as the focal range of the Sigma is not going to be an issue, then there shouldn't be a problem. The 18-35mm is significantly sharper at all apertures than the kit lens. Stopping the lens down to increase sharpness only works up to a point. Go beyond the optimum of the lens and you actually start decreasing sharpness due to diffraction. Only set the aperture to the DOF that you require for a photograph. If sharpness is an absolute must, then aim to use the optimum for the lens. Then again, if you are using a cheap Chinese brand of flash, the t=0.1 time of them may render any benefit from using a sharper lens moot, because you'll end up with motion blur if the kids are moving about on the set.

I've shot $4,000 lenses at f/8, and I've shot $99 cheap Nikon plastic mount zoom lenses at f/8, both with studio flash illumination. Know what? At f/8--almost ANY modern, multicoated lens looks very good on up to a 24 MP FX sensor...there's already loss of sharpness due to diffraction at an f/stop as small as f/8, and "most any" zoom lens at f/8 will yield pretty good images on flash-illuminated people photos. Seriously: the Nikon 28-80mm AF-D, the plastic mount model, is about as sharp at f/8 as a pro-grade Nikkor lens is at f/8. Unless you are shooting test charts, I doubt the difference will actually be visible on group portrait work.

I've shot $4,000 lenses at f/8, and I've shot $99 cheap Nikon plastic mount zoom lenses at f/8, both with studio flash illumination. Know what? At f/8--almost ANY modern, multicoated lens looks very good on up to a 24 MP FX sensor...there's already loss of sharpness due to diffraction at an f/stop as small as f/8, and "most any" zoom lens at f/8 will yield pretty good images on flash-illuminated people photos. Seriously: the Nikon 28-80mm AF-D, the plastic mount model, is about as sharp at f/8 as a pro-grade Nikkor lens is at f/8. Unless you are shooting test charts, I doubt the difference will actually be visible on group portrait work.
hi derrel that is the answer i was looking for :) i thought to buy the tamron 24-70 so it may fit any future ff sensor camera and then i saw the sigma wich can give beter resaults on a small studio crop sensor camera
and then again with the 4 strobes that i use ( 2 softboxes for subject and 2 umbrelas for white backround i preety much control the light ) and i thought that even a cheap lense will give me more or less same resaults (from costumer side)
so thanx again and i think i will save the $ for the next ff camera :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back