Lens Upgrade for Nikon D90

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Phil86, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I would add the 35mm f/1.8 DX G and the 50mm f/1.8 G lenses. You want a lens for walking around with friends and around the campfire - the 35mm. For portrait shots at the photography course at the studio the 50mm. That stays in your budget, gives you a faster lens option over the zooms, sharp enough for most needs.

I would start by just picking up one of the two. You need to use it long enough so you know ahead of time where the person needs to be and where you need to be so you can frame the image how you want. You can try this out now by just setting your zoom lens and not touching the zoom ring the rest of the day, use your feet (and dream about the extra three stops of light).

Another option, pick up a Nikon SB-700 flash unit, its in the budget, and going with bounce or off camera flash will fix any issues with low light and the kit lens. It will also work great in Commander mode with the D90.

2. Phil86

Phil86 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Dave 442. I've never played with the flash units before. I very rarely use the built in flash. I will have a look at the 35mm. I think from reading most of the replies I should maybe stick with the kit lens until I start to improve. I was just thinking maybe new glass would help to improve the image quality on my journey.

3. Phil86

Phil86 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks pixmedic,
    I will have a look at third party lens too. Looking at some of the other posts these are just as good if not better than the Nikon lens. I still have so much to learn and really enjoying the journey so far.

4. Alan92RTTT

Alan92RTTT No longer a newbie, moving up!

I used to have the same set of lenses that you have. The 55mm break point used to frustrate me to no end. I felt like I was always swapping lenses.

I switched up to the 18-105mm and its been my main lens unless I am going to the zoo. I have been very happy with its performance. The front element on the 18-105 is larger than than of the 18-55. Everyone has told me that this should have no effect, I have observed a significant increase if light with my current lenses. When I got the 18-105 I did come comparison shots on a cloudy day. Shooting Aperture priority ISO 1250, F14 I got 1/250 with the 18-55 and 1/2500 with the 18-105. Shots were taken with in about 10 minutes of each other.

5. Phil86

Phil86 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Alan, did you stick with a Nikon lens when you swapped to the 18-105 or did you use a third party lens?

6. Alan92RTTT

Alan92RTTT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Nikon. See signature.