1st day out with dslr

Toller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry about posting so many photos for C&C, however here they are. It was my first time in public with the new camera. Have only used point and shoot for the last 30 years:)blushing:) and have been doing research and not much practice. Minor editing in picassa
All comments appreciated. Thanks
IMG_6911.jpg

IMG_6937.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

IMG_6899-1.jpg

IMG_6896.jpg

IMG_6895.jpg

Many are not quite in focus (camera shake or just not focused?) - the last one is best in that regard. First one could be cropped more on the top and less (taken with more?) on the right side. Cropping issues on most - that's a tough part to master. Make sure there is enough on each side, but not too much. And with butterflies, I think the head should be at least closer to the middle, rather than the wings.

I like the second one the best but they are all a little out of focus. I am guessing this was due to camera shake since you were shooting at 1/30th shutter speed at 85mm.

In general, I'd say they are out of focus and over exposed. I'd take the camera off shutter priority and try aperture priority or just manual (preferably manual). Definitely do a little more research on the exposure triangle. And one thing I'm realizing is that my camera's screen tends to show pics a little darker than they appear on a computer screen, so look into that, too. Check out the tutorial thread sticky here in the beginner forum. It's very comprehensive and easy to understand. Nice use of depth of field though! I'm a beginner, too! :) It's so fun, isn't it!!!?

I think they are good pics with #4 being my fav with the color contrast, although new this myself I agree with the others on the focus issue. Keep on snapping pics!

please number them from now on, that will help us.
I agree on unfocused the first couple you are focused on the stem/leaf.
although the last ones giant eye looks great!

Thank you for your comments. I'd decided to use shutter priority to familiarise myself with it, and ideally should have gone round and tried Av as well. I'll have to go back.
Hanna focussing was a little bit of an issue.. I guess if I'd had a greater dof it would have helped(?). I see what you mean with the cropping. I found it tricky knowing where to crop. What to leave in or omit, as sometimes what was left in then became distracting. Guess it comes with practice.

DarkHunter yep unsteady hands. Butterflies did their best to cooperate by standing still, though I was often holding something out of the way. Though why I didn't use a faster shutter speed... well next time.
Exposure... I did fiddle with the brightness in picassa...OK see what you mean...

...Must remember to number images. Thanks for taking the time to help guys:thumbup:

nice colorful subjects, a lot to look at good work... number you pics next time if you want individual comments or I will just comment on the set... some seem like they may be a tad over exposed...

Most reactions

Back