Kid's Party C&C

fast eddie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Here are a few pictures from my son's 5th birthday party. Although these are quick candid shots, I always try to use interesting compositions and strive for good tone.

I'm sure these miss the mark some - what can I do to be prepared to capture the best image next time?

4328465069_0cf232aabc_o.jpg

4328465113_a6c7fc39e3_o.jpg

4328465033_370d30330e_o.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate anything you can share.

Peace
ed

Last edited:
As far as birthday shots are concerned, these are good. What I really like about #2 is you got on the level of the kids to take the shot. Too many people shoot from their eye level down on kids and turns what could have been a great image into a snapshot.

For #2, I might have brought the camera up about a foot or two, just to keep the amount of floor out of the image. As it is, almost half the frame is being taken up by the floor.

#3 is a cute kid, actually, looks a lot like I did when I was about his age. :) I don't really have anything to add to this.

Nice work here. Keep trying new things, and new angles.

I agree about the second one, great angle of view, at the kid's level, which makes a world of differance. The thing is that the people are hardly recognizable. Try the same shot but get everyone's face so they can all be seen, and make them the more prominant element of the composition. I think the first one could be improved in the same way: make the cupcake more dominant, less background. My 2 cents...JSD

3 is a great picture of your son. It looks very focused and his eyes are such a beautiful blue which makes them pop. I don't think you missed the mark on that one.

3 is a great picture of your son. It looks very focused and his eyes are such a beautiful blue which makes them pop. I don't think you missed the mark on that one.

Other than it needs to be centered, not bad

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll work on #2 some more.
#3 is actually a neighbor kid, I just liked the shot.

Peace
ed

I love the cupcake detail shot! KIDS LOVE cupcakes at birthday parties. I agree on the floor shot--nice point of view, but it would look better with the floor cropped off a bit,thus making the kids appear larger in the final image. I think picture 2 needs to be seen really large to make the boys physically large enough on the print, due to the short focal length used. The nice thing, OTOH, is how it is a record of the event--where it was, the environment, what the house looks like at age 5, more of a social-documentary look. Plus, it has that cool ROBOT right there in the living room!!!!!

The last shot--a bit off centered but I like the focal length it was shot at. I'm a dad,and it's great to be a dad. I look back at each birthday's pictures very fondly. The 5th birthday party had a robot theme....maybe next year it will be Ben 10 Alien Force...who knows!

@Alias - thanks, done.

@Derrel - Funny you brought up the "environment" shot, that's kind of how I was looking at this one. I have plenty of pictures from the party that show the kids up close and in detail, I wanted to get a "bug on the floor perspective" for this one. - Although I appreciate all the suggestions just the same.

Here's one that really shows more of the concept I was thinking - like the party is just going on in the background (I was just afraid that since the "normal" subjects are out of focus, people might not have understood my intentions without a lengthy explanation (like this:))

4330661658_ab20375691_o.jpg

What camera(s) do you use? I wish people would specify what they're using when they post here. lol

@ frommrstomommy

Sorry, I have a Nikon D5000 with Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR and a borrowed 10.5mm Fisheye Lens

@ frommrstomommy

Sorry, I have a Nikon D5000 with Nikon AF-S 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR and a borrowed 10.5mm Fisheye Lens

Thanks, I'm on the fence about which camera to get and seeing photos taken with the cameras is always helpful. They keep saying its about the person behind the camera but potential is a factor for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back