#2. Has this happened to you?

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know some may shutter at the thought of this (pun intended :wink: ) but occasionally I do some simple enlargements on those stupid simple little do-it-yourelf Kodak enlargement machines at the local wal-mart. Usually just for a test or something simple to hang on my wall for a week or two in my office.

The problem is that evidentally my images are starting to get pretty good because they are starting to refuse to give me the pictures or even let me use the machine because they think I am ripping them off from a professional photographer and I am violating copyright protections.

How the hell do I fix this? I don't have any business cards printed (although that may be the easiest way around it) I have gotten into numerous copyright discussion/battles with dumb kids AND managers who swear I am wrong and they wrote the laws, I have told them the equipment I use settings of the shot how it was post processed ect ect all to no avail. For the most part in the end when I already have the pic printed I am allowwed to leave with it but that doesn't do anything for the future when they won't even let me use the machine.

On a side note when my wife took a picture that was professionally photographed, that WE DO OWN THE RELEASE FOR they actually went to extent of calling him in SOUTH DAKOTA and faxing him another release to sign and fax back to them before she could take the printed results! So it is obvious that they will go pretty far to cover thier behinds on it.

I think it's great to see someone in the community doing something to prevent this type of piracy but how do we protect the right to print our own images!?

get business cards. this place isn't too pricey for full color.
http://gotprint.net/gotprint/welcome.do

I work in a place that allows customers to reproduce photos themselves. Copyright is an issue, but you can usually get around it by showing something that looks professional with your name on it. They may want one to keep on file.

That's bizarre. I've never run into that. If I go in with a cd of images, it's understood that they are mine. You can't get 8x10 digital images from someone's website or something.

Go to a different store. Walgreens and CVS have those Kodak machines also.

Ya I think I'm going to check into the cards again. Thanks, just crabby this morning I guess :roll:

honestly, i sometimes say something looks copyright because the person is being a pain in the ass and i'd rather not do the work for them.

Guess you should think of it as a compliment in a strange sort of way.

Mate, I have a 8 inkjet photo quality printer, send the files to me, ill print them for you and send them to you, and then you can send me a bit of money to cover costs of ink and paper :)

Ok....this is coming from someone who works at a place like this. Don't be angry at the clerk at the store. That is what we are taught. (I work at a Walgreens). We are taught that anything that looks like it might be a professional picture (and looks to have been taken AFTER 1970) must have written permission from the photog to be copied. Even if the photog is you, they don't know that for sure. The best way I can see to do it, is to write up a release form...something that says you have permission to reprint, then leave a place to write a description fo the photo to be reprinted, and a place to sign and date it. And it's best to do it on letterhead. If you don't have an actual photog business, just make a name up, I guess....and do the form on letterhead. That will usually do it. :)

I know it is a pain in the butt, but when we are trained, we are told that not only can the store be sued and fined by a photog that didn't want their pic reprinted, but we personally can be sued and fined, as well as fired. So they pretty much strike the fear of God in you!

Oh...and if you wanna do business cards as well, my step dad goes to vistaprint.com...you can get like 100 for $4.99....they may not be perfect, but they ain't bad...especially if that's all you want them for. (but I would still do the release form).

Hope this helps. I know I work at Walgreens, not Walmart, but I'm sure our policies are similar. A signed permission slip is all it takes.

You will be interested in Mpix or Adorama. No questions asked.

I had simmilar problem but with the shots to documents!

I do my enlargements at Costco and they have no problem whatsoever with them. I don't know if you have a Costco around but if you do, consider giving it a try.

danalec99 said:
You will be interested in Mpix or Adorama. No questions asked.

I am only doing these for test prints and immediate results but I will keep those in mind for my larger finish prints :wink:

Well the letterhead sounds like my next project. Oh well, I am happy at least that this has motivated me to design my cards FINALLY!

*edited by Canon Fan :roll:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back