2 part question from a total beginner

Distractionator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Should I invest in a computer to do photo editing, or should I invest in more lenses? If I should go with the computer first should I go desktop or laptop? Any suggestions?

Are you shooting digital or film? How do you edit photos now? If you use a laptop you should make sure the display is good for photo editing. Many laptops have YN displays (power conservative and cheap) but they are poor for photo editing.

Joe

Digital or Film?

If it is Digital why would you invest in more lenses to take pictures you can't see. Kind of like shooting film and never developing the negatives.

As for a computer desktop with an ISP display.

Obviously the OP is shooting digital and has a computer but wants to know if lenses or upgrading the system is advised.

Answer: you need to tell us what you have in order to give a somewhat realistic suggestion.

What lenses do you currently own? What type of photography do you shoot? Your question has too many holes for us to give you solid advice.

I'm shooting digital, I don't edit my photos currently, I just store them to an older laptop I've got laying around. I've only got the basic lens which are an AF-S nikkor 18-55mm and a nikon AF nikkor 70-300 the camera I'm using is the nikon d3300, I know pretty basic gear all around but this is something I wanna grow into

Desktop computer ... more bang for the buck.
Laptop if portability/small space is essential.

In day an age of photography the computer is your darkroom, so it is a tool, part of your camera equipment.

Thank you very much. Any suggestions on a good desktop, not outrageously expensive?

Thank you very much. Any suggestions on a good desktop, not outrageously expensive?
If you can afford it, get a Mac.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I moved from PC to Mac (MacBook Pro) and have never regretted it. I'm out on my deck taking a break from sorting photos right now. But the desktop Macs are generally less expensive for what you get, and you do get that big monitor.

The last computer I bought was a refurbished Dell Optiplex 760.
I got it from Overstock.com.
Intel Core Duo 2 E7400 @ 2.80GHz processor, 750 GB disk drive, upgraded power supply.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
I upgraded the RAM to a total of 8 GB of Dual-Channel 398MHz DDR2.
I bought the computer on September 8, 2013, it cost me $266.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back