2 questions, nikon 35mm and medium format lenses

The F5 has it's motor drive built in.......therefore the F6 is lighter.

The only major differences I know.

Both excelent cameras.

What's your budget for the lens? Do you want a fairly modern sharp lens or a soft old thing? How wide do you want it?

If you want a modern-ish lens the Calumet Caltars are good value second hand. They are rebadged Schneiders or Rodenstocks, but they generally sell for less because of the name. Kodak Commercial Ektars are OK. The list is fairly long.

I have no experience of any Calumet cameras. What do you want it for? Have you looked at the different types of 4x5 camera? What is you budget for the 4x5? $400 or $500 would get you a very good monorail like the Sinar F2.

Best,
Helen

As to lens choices . . .

4" would be a good wide angle lens, AOV equal to about 35mm lens in 35mm format.

6.5" would be a good normal lens.

13-15" would be good for portraiture.

20" on up would be a great telephoto.

I really havent looked much at other cameras, mainly just because i found it on craigslist and it seemed like a decent price for the camera. 400-500 isnt bad, im not in a huge rush to get it, so i have some time to save up and such.

Yes you can get 4x5 cameras, complete with a decent lens, for less than $500, but it is worth spending a little time finding out what is available and what sort of camera you want.

The focal lengths that Christopher favours are generally a little longer than the ones I use - a 180 mm or 210 mm for most portraits and a 300 mm (non telephoto) for tighter portraits. I only have one telephoto - a 400 mm Apo-Tele-Xenar - but I don't use it for portraits. At the wide end I use a 55 mm, an 80 mm, a bunch of lenses in the 105-110 mm range, 120 mm macro, 135 mm and 150 m. I started with a 90 mm and a 180 mm, and they made a very good, versatile combination.

Bear in mind that if you are interested in using the longer focal length lenses that good non-telephotos are cheaper and more plentiful than telephotos, but they do require more bellows extension.

Oh, and get used to lenses with a long focal length being called 'long focal length lenses' and telephotos being called 'telephotos' This is because in LF whether a lens is a true telephoto or not is a significant point.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back