2nd question of the day. Negative scanner

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by neea, Dec 7, 2006.

1. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello AGAIN.

I am curious about 35mm negative scanners.
    I dont know much about them so I'm curious if anyone has one/used one.
    I'm wondering about quality as they seem to range from $130 to $1500.
    'You get what you pay for' obviously but is there a good quality medium?

I only need digital files for my webpage. Other than that my pictures are meant to be enlarged and printed on top quality papers.

Thanx in advance.

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    My feeling is that $500 is a "medium" range in film scanners. In that range, I liked the Nikon 5000 as well as Epson's newest V700 flatbed. I chose the flatbed for various reasons and really like the results.

BUT

If your final intention of scanning 35mm negatives is to post to a web page, I wouldn't spend the $500 on the scanner. A simple $100-$200 flatbed that does 35mm negative should work just fine. Check out some of the Epson perfection photo scanners in the $100-$200 price range.

$ in US dollars

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The difference in price is primarily a difference in speed. A photo-enabled flatbed scanner will make the same scan as an automated commercial film scanner. But it will take more time and work to get the job done.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I also recommend a flatbed with negative holders. I use a Canon 8400F and not only is it good for web use, I've been able to make fairly good prints at 7x5 no problem - and that's from old, relatively grainy slides.

A dedicated film scanner is probably going to give you better image quality and speed. But a flatbed will give you more flexibility (you can also scan medium format film and of course prints) for significantly less money. I recommend taking a look at the Canon or Epson ranges.

5. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey guys,
    Thanx for your input.
    I think I'm learning towards the Epson V350.
    From what I understand it will scan my 35mm negatives and it comes with the templates to scan them and a few other types (transparencies and whatnot I think).

However, I recently heard that you need a 'special' scanner to scan color negatives. I dont know exactly what this means or if this scanner fits in that 'special' category. I hope so.

If anyone can shed some light on this, please do so.

Thanx again.

6. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I'm a little confused by the bit about needing a special scanner... probably you were told that you "need" a dedicated film scanner, i.e. one that is designed specifically and solely for scanning film. Examples would be the Nikon Coolscan or the Minolta Dimage scanners. You don't need a dedicated film scanner, they're just likely to produce better images and maybe do it quicker. But a flatbed scanner with the right film holder will produce good images (like I said I make great prints at 7x5" no problem) and has the advantage that you can scan different film sizes as well as other media.

I don't know about that specific model, but there are definitely scanners in the Epson Perfection range that are equal in image quality to my Canon (however I can't remember the name, but it was a bigger model than the v350).

7. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If all you need is digitized pictures for your web page you might just get a picture disk with you photo developing.

I have a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and it is an excellent scaner. I understand the Coolscan V ED is very good as well. I am sure you could get away with something much cheaper with your stated requirements.