3 quick lines of advice

1) throw the camera manual away unread. It will entice you to do worthless things.
2) take lots of photos with different settings and look at them repeatedly.
3)have fun. Yes, I know I am repeating Nerwin but it is important.

I don't agree with throwing away the manual. Read it. Know it. I read mine front to back several times. No point in asking a billion questions on a photo forum when it's in the manual. There's a lot of settings I know that a lot of people don't know because they don't read the manual lol.
Agree, read all manuals and decide what features you want to use and what you don't, but if you don't even know what a tool is capable of, you are misusing the tool.

And don't jump into a prosumer camera right off the bat. Get a entry level DSLR. That's why I had to sell my Aunts D7000 because she couldn't understand it..but she probably wouldn't understand a entry level model either. Lol.

Some people are destined to be P&S photographers and that is completely acceptable, the world needs those as much and any type. Just like some people will be software user and some are software tinkerers. Some buy computers and live with it and some build their own. Some take the car to a mechanic and hope they didn't have a bad day and forget to tighten a bolt or 2, some do the work themselves and know for sure.

Personally, I do everything myself, including cutting my wife's hair...yeah, she was skeptical at first too.
I figure if a thing can be done, and I decide to commit to it, I can do it as well as another person can and be sure I get it the way I want it without spending 13 hours explaining what I want.
I hired a gardener once to give myself a break, and had to go out and stop him from doing things in a way I didn't want it done, I ended up showing him where to make each cut to ensure the regrowth would follow the planned direction for that branch and so forth.
It was a lot more work than doing it myself.
The Renaissance is not yet dead in my household, I am teaching the kids all my knowledge of how to learn and do things without fear, and then they can do anything too.

1. Enjoy your time behind the lens, it will make the end product more enjoyable, even if only for you.

2. Learn what you need to in order to operate the equipment you are using.

3. Bring a friend.
(Someone to blame. :) )

1) throw the camera manual away unread. It will entice you to do worthless things.

I don't agree with throwing away the manual. Read it. Know it. I read mine front to back several times. No point in asking a billion questions on a photo forum when it's in the manual. There's a lot of settings I know that a lot of people don't know because they don't read the manual lol.
Agree, read all manuals and decide what features you want to use and what you don't, but if you don't even know what a tool is capable of, you are misusing the tool.

And don't jump into a prosumer camera right off the bat. Get a entry level DSLR. That's why I had to sell my Aunts D7000 because she couldn't understand it..but she probably wouldn't understand a entry level model either. Lol.

Some people are destined to be P&S photographers and that is completely acceptable, the world needs those as much and any type. Just like some people will be software user and some are software tinkerers. Some buy computers and live with it and some build their own. Some take the car to a mechanic and hope they didn't have a bad day and forget to tighten a bolt or 2, some do the work themselves and know for sure.

Personally, I do everything myself, including cutting my wife's hair...yeah, she was skeptical at first too.
I figure if a thing can be done, and I decide to commit to it, I can do it as well as another person can and be sure I get it the way I want it without spending 13 hours explaining what I want.
I hired a gardener once to give myself a break, and had to go out and stop him from doing things in a way I didn't want it done, I ended up showing him where to make each cut to ensure the regrowth would follow the planned direction for that branch and so forth.
It was a lot more work than doing it myself.
The Renaissance is not yet dead in my household, I am teaching the kids all my knowledge of how to learn and do things without fear, and then they can do anything too.
Chrisley-Knows-Best-Season-4-Release-Date.jpg

Well perhaps you should make your show more entertaining.

1. Be verbose.
2. Be complete.

1. Get the facts first. Then you can distort them as you please.
2. Don't critisize the coffee, you may be old and weak yourself someday.
3. PLAN AHEA​
d

1. Light is the single most important aspect of a photo, and the more you understand it, the better.
2. Better gear does not make you a better photographer.
3. Invest in lighting and retouching tutorials produced by highly skilled photographers, or watch creative live.

I never read mine.

Amateurs talk about gear.
Pros talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.

Amateurs talk about gear.
Pros talk about technique.
Artists talk about light.
Pros talk about business opportunities and the competition. Artists talk about abstract concepts and ideas.

amateurs worry about equipment,
professionals worry about money,
masters worry about light,

I just take pictures...
- Vernon Trent

Photography is all about light, composition and, most importantly, emotion.

thanks to all for sharing your experience....

Most reactions

Back