No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure some of you have read KR's most recent update already, but here it is:
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/film-resolution.htm

So, with the best lens on a camera in the hands of the best photographer, scanned using the best equipment, Fuji Velvia 50 35mm slide film can give you the equivalent of a 174 megapixels from a digital camera that uses Bayer Interpolation (which, as far as I'm aware, is all of them), or 87 actual (clear) megapixels.

Interesting. And, yay, another excuse to shoot film! ;)

Let the flame wars begin! :lol:

Last edited:
When you see a great photo, does it matter how many little dots it has?

Whatever.... nobody is going to convince me that ANY 35mm film does any better then 12mp. It may look better, and have more dynamic range, but digital resolution has surpassed film resolution for the same surface area.

I know this information is buried in a thread somewhere, but I didn't want to spend 2 hours searching for it...

How do you calculate megapixels? Say an image is 4200x2700 pixels (14x9 @ 300 ppi), how many megapixels is that? Is it simply multiplying the two dimensions?
(4200*2700=11340000=11.34mp?)

edit
got it. I googled it and Ken Rockwell was the first result, lol. I was doing it right.

Last edited:
Why does the Nikon D700 noticeably outperform the Nikon F5 with the same lens?
Because KR isn't comparing resolving power of digital sensors to film. He's comparing the "data recording" ability of a pixel to that of a crystal. And he's not even doing it very scientifically.

Well, I can respect his tastes, but if he's going to promote an agenda based on fuzzy logic, I don't know if I can respect his statements.

Because KR isn't comparing resolving power of digital sensors to film. He's comparing the "data recording" ability of a pixel to that of a crystal. And he's not even doing it very scientifically.
So if he isn't comparing the quality of the end result, then what's his point? I bet silver crystals are more soluble in water than megapixels are, but that's irrelevant to the photograph, now isn't it. :D

Well, I can respect his tastes, but if he's going to promote an agenda based on fuzzy logic, I don't know if I can respect his statements.

So if he isn't comparing the quality of the end result, then what's his point? I bet silver crystals are more soluble in water than megapixels are, but that's irrelevant to the photograph, now isn't it. :D
This is why most people don't respect the guy. He's just trying to 'prove' that film is better, and is going on the assumption that has followers will eat it up just because it makes some sense mathematically.

Just out of curiosity though, what are you guys using for fixer on the new Canon sensors? My old Sprint doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited:
What's going on there is unscientific BS done for advertising and ratings and for unartistic nerds to jizz all over.
Sure. I completely agree with that. But then please tell me how their particular comparison in the video was invalid or irrelevant. What did they do wrong that makes you disregard the end result you saw? I mean, the two 75 meter posters were there, side by side for us to see. It was pretty clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back