3rd Portrait/Candid Session (C&C Welcome) - 7 shots

Samriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And after my 2nd session, I had a third. :mrgreen: This time with a friend who works as a race queen and event companion, and she was nice enough to volunteer for my practice session. Shooting is so much fun when the model takes up different positions without being told to do so! Took many shoots, these are some which I liked most. Critique, comments, impressions - all welcome! :thumbup:

Epon.jpg

Epon-2.jpg

Epon-3.jpg

Epon-4.jpg

Epon-6.jpg

Epon-5.jpg

Epon-7.jpg

I think #7 has the best tonal range. No blown highlights, superb focus and texture, excellent shadow detail.

A crop of head and upper torso might be interesting. There is a point of view in portraits which holds that the composition shouldn't chop the figure off at the legs. Some disagree with that.

I'm not sure where I stand concerning the cutting-at-the-legs thing. I might be more for it then against at the moment, especially looking at the results of this shooting - gives me more focus on the model.

Concerning the shooting, the good thing was that I had a good model, good weather conditions, and if something was not what I wanted it took be, I had only myself to blame. Good experience.

In the first one I found the hair in her eyes to be quite distracting.. I liked all of them though

I found the set up for #2 pretty awesome. The color, dof, the framing, and the girl, of course, all came together to make it work. If only she was looking at the camera and smiling.

While I think #7 has the best tonal range, #4 is my favourite, because her expression makes it appear she's having fun. The composition is great, and the tiny bits of over exposure aren't really enough to be a bother.

In the first one I found the hair in her eyes to be quite distracting.. I liked all of them though

I personally like the hair, looks more natural, albeit a bit distracting.

Early said:
I found the set up for #2 pretty awesome. The color, dof, the framing, and the girl, of course, all came together to make it work. If only she was looking at the camera and smiling.

The setup was a on-the-spot improvisation, inspired by an old anime called "The Rose of Versailles" (also known as "Lady Oscar"), where in the opening you had a scene of the main character being entangled in rose branches. I'll probaly redo the scene to more fit my imagination sometime.

Oscar10.jpg
Epon-2.jpg

johngpt said:
While I think #7 has the best tonal range, #4 is my favourite, because her expression makes it appear she's having fun. The composition is great, and the tiny bits of over exposure aren't really enough to be a bother.

I like her expression in #4 too. I overexposed it a bit in PP for a more "dramatic" effect - somehow the wild posture just fit's better with a slightly "wild" exposure and saturation. I actually would like to see her pose for this one in some kind of Conan / Xena brown leather clothes... the whole setup and pose just fits the image. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back