4 reasons why you should not buy Windows Vista OS

Intellivision - 1979!
Seven years before my time!;)

Two thoughts :

One.

If Microsoft made the world - can you imagine what it must have been like to have to live on Earth v1.1 ???

Two.

The problem with Windows Vista is: [takes a deep breath ]

That it is a 64 bit extention of recycled 32 bit code, based on 16 bit architectures developed on 8 bit theories by 4 bit programmers working for a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Two thoughts :

One.

If Microsoft made the world - can you imagine what it must have been like to have to live on Earth v1.1 ???

Two.

The problem with Windows Vista is: [takes a deep breath ]

That it is a 64 bit extention of recycled 32 bit code, based on 16 bit architectures developed on 8 bit theories by 4 bit programmers working for a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

NT4 worked - no problems (aside from the patches needed to be reinstalled every time you installed new software and you needed a patch to use a hard drive more than 2GB)
Windows 2000 worked - it was NT4 updated. Great fantastic - multiple service patches though.
XP is where it all began to fall apart. The number of times I have been asked to reactivate XP for no apparent reason is unbelievable. This is an OS that can work just fine but which can also screw you over very badly. I had to buy a new hard drive, install onto that and then rescue my data from the other hard drive - XP IS that bad at times.
Vista is where things are getting about as bad as Windows 95 again.

I went for a Mac and OSX. I am very happy - it does all my photo editing. It does work and it works well. BONUS - no viruses.

You buy a decent setup for XP then all the patches come and it slows down, demands more RAM etc. Then you need the antivirus software (which is only needed because the OS is so poorly designed and written that it can be exploited easily) and that takes up more RAM and CPU cycles. Before you know it, you need a machine ten times more powerful just to run the OS and antivirus then you're still out on a limb regarding running the actual software!

I have two laptops - one runs OSX and the other runs XP. The XP laptop is crawling now while it used to run blisteringly fast. I've done the reformat and reinstall but it still crawls. The only obvious thing is that XP's updates and the antivirus have eaten up the 2Ghz CPU and 512MB ram. I am currently considering just putting Linux on that laptop and leaving it at that!

More XP hogwash above me again.

Three year old computer that's never been formated or XP reinstalled for me. I don't use firewall, antivirus, or anti-adware. I just defragged my 200 gig hard drive for the first time ever a week or so ago. I have a total of 15 processes running and I game with this old machine. It runs fantastic. I can have Photoshop or Paintshop Pro open, Firefox running on several websites, 4 external program mods for the game that I play as well as the game itself, Teamspeak or Ventrillo, and winamp or other audio program running while I am playing the game and my 3 year old computer does just fine.

I've never had a problem with XP. If you have XP problems, start googling your process list and disabling them. Everything you install will put a background process in on startup so that their program starts "faster". Get rid of Norton on top of all that. Our computers at work have at least 10 processes running dedicated to that bloated POS security system. That's 2/3 of my total process list just to run Norton!

Wow, just counted the processes on my work computer. Out of 52 running processes (that's ridiculous), 20 of them are for Norton and our firewall stuff. That's even more ridiculous.

I think you are lucky then mrodgers - ;)

also would you happen to surf thought a good external modem? Many of them have firewalls installed but they are not often as good as an incomputer wall.
I think its also important to point out that the reason that apple computers don't have viruses is to say that they do get them, but most pro hackers make windows viruses as they will affect the majority of the computing market (whilst those -insert harsh swear word- who sit at home alone in a dark room and make random viruses for the fun of it are often bored and sitting infront of a windows computer

I hate Windows, but I hate Apple more (just personal preference)

If I could I would just run Linux.

I think you are lucky then mrodgers - ;)

also would you happen to surf thought a good external modem? Many of them have firewalls installed but they are not often as good as an incomputer wall.
Just the what I assume is a standard POS DSL modem from the provider. I've been on DSL for 2 years.

Previous, I was on 56k dialup. People complained about connection problems to the online game I run that had a far greater broadband connection than even what I currently have, let alone my 56k dialup. Yet, I was able to play online nightly without ever lagging or having connection issues.

It's all about what crap you clog up your system with. MS Office, music players, ITunes, camera software, video software, winzip, just about everything will install something that auto starts and take up your resources. They half load in the background stating that it is so they "load faster" when you want to use it. When in reality, all that clogging crap causes the entire system to bog down.

My mother's computer came with Vista. I looked at it and there were 87 processes running just from her pulling it out of the box and firing it up. 87 PROCESSES! Unfortunately, that was back when Vista was brand new and google didn't give me any results of what they all were yet. So, I didn't know which was actually critical to the computer running and which was useless computer clogging crap.

I think its also important to point out that the reason that apple computers don't have viruses is to say that they do get them, but most pro hackers make windows viruses as they will affect the majority of the computing market (whilst those -insert harsh swear word- who sit at home alone in a dark room and make random viruses for the fun of it are often bored and sitting infront of a windows computer
That is exactly why PCs have the virus trouble and Macs don't. It's because the PC userbase is the majority, thus they target the majority. Since PC users are the majority, PC have the majority of stupid users that download or click everywhere without understanding what they are doing, thus bringing on the virus/adware crap all on their own.

Bought my first computer in 1996 with Windows 95. I've had 6 computers all together in 12 years, Win 95, 98, 98SE, and XP. I've never had a virus and never had a problem in 12 years. Folks running P4 3 ghz computers have trouble with framerates in the game I play. My daughter plays the same game (it's a racing simulator) with acceptable framerates on an old Celeron 667 mhz computer with 512 mb ram and 11 mb onboard shared graphics memory. I think it's the PC userbase that's the problem, not the OS that they run.

A lot of modern software wants to take over the entire computer - Norton, HP software, Google's Picassa, Epson's software etc. That's where a lot of people will lose processor time - wasted on idling applications. My gripe is the crap that Windows generates. With an unpatched fresh install, XP will boot in 30 seconds. On anything with all XP's patches the time increases dramatically.

Don't blame Norton, blame the idiots that have created viruses, spam...and so on that made Norton a requirement. For those that do not use antivirus software, that is just careless. Do you think your pc is above getting a virus? That your computer is too good to be infected with a virus? How do you know your computer is not already infected if you don't have anything that detects it? Do you think a popup is going to come up and tell you "oopsie...you just got a virus"?

Now I know that Norton has its own issues every now and then, but then choose a different antivirus software that you like better that has been proven to work.

No, really, Norton is a virus. It does the same thing that most virus' do. It eats up your RAM. There are many other much better programs out there. ESET is the best in my opinion.

It definitely eats up the RAM, that's for sure! I bought more just to support. At least I can be fairly confident that my data is somewhat secure. Good that you found an antivirus program that you like better, maybe I will check it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back