4 reasons why you should not buy Windows Vista OS

Ahem -- one thing to add:
If you do go for vista pay extra and get the ultimate edition - its much much more stable :)

ps - only gamers and digital graphics artists are heading for vista for the direct x 10 support I think photographers with photoshop are much safter sticking with xp ;)

Wow. Windows 7. To be honest though... I was so unimpressed by Windows 95/98/ME/XP and then the very sight of Vista put me off. So much so that I decided to go either Linux or Apple. Apple had the good image processing software. Linux lacks badly in that respect. Even Bibble and Picassa aren't that great!

Thus, I have Apple for most of my work. I'm using a Windows machine right now but the only reason I'm using this is in order to maintain the Canon i560 as a networked printer. I'm thinking seriously of selling a few printers and going for a real networked printer instead.

I have been using Vista since the day it came out. It definitely runs a little slower than XP, BUT it has some advantages such as comunicating with my XBOX much more seamlessly. I am happy with it now, but it took a little bit to get to this point. XP runs good out of the box. At this point, I would still choose Vista Ultimate over XP again if I had to choose all over again.

oh and vista has a service pack out (its out now I think but I am waiting for it to have its own problems ironed out before getting - that and I am not pressured to download it yet-

I had luck with the latest service pack, and believe me, I crossed my fingers when I installed it. It did however mess up my monitor settings (I have a triple-display set up). It took about 5 minutes or so to get my monitors set back up the way I had them (resolution, swapping monitor 2 back to 1, re-enabling the one it disabled, setting screen refresh rate back). It works good now though.

Triple display - that would be one for the DVD, one for forum and one for editing/work ;)

to be honest though I just have not had the need to upgrade though I worry most about compatability (you do when you have quite a few more than a few games!) though the only big compatability problem I have had was with creative soundcards - and that appears to be all creatives own problems!

Triple display - that would be one for the DVD, one for forum and one for editing/work ;)

That's right! :mrgreen:

I don't think I would pay for the upgrade to Vista. If I were buying a new computer, I would probably choose Vista as the OS over XP. Now for gaming, if you are not going to use DirectX 10, I think XP is the way to go since it is definitely a little faster and more compatible.

Its funny you should say that, but most of the errors I notice are in the older games and its a conflict with graphics cards and drivers (as they move more 3D the 2D support is dropping off) rather than vista - though there are one or two who just plain hate it ;)

I just stick with my Xbox as my gaming machine. That way I can just put the game in and not worry about it... :confused: ...well sorta...hopefully I don't get that red ring of death thing.

We have so many problems with XP and my stepson's video games. Half won't work on his PC and the rest won't work on any of our PCs either. My in-laws have two identical computers from Dell and some games will play on one but not the other. Very wierd and yet both have the same base software!

Currently we're waiting for a new graphics card from Dell on my stepson's computer - it seems to have died (no monitor activity on any monitor but the disks whir and the system bleeps and the lights come on etc).

yah - and then there is the patch support for consoles - bah I the old days a console game always worked now they have patches for games! :(

hmm Rhys with computers I would really recomend avoiding the big superstores (they just sell stock only buyers and the repaires departments are time limited for each computer - if its not done in the time limit then its not done) and seek out a smaller local dealer. They might be able to help == have you tried compatability mode for the games?

Trouble is the games are all designed for XP so they all should work - the specs on both machines are identical!

I find games are such a PITA that I'd much rather he played his PS2 or Game Cube and didn't bother with computers.

I am sorely tempted to ask my wife to let me build him a new machine. At least if I build it, I know what's in it and what it's capable of and I'll have all the manuals.

out of interst any idea what the games are called?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back